Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: DarkPenguin on July 21, 2008, 03:13:25 pm

Title: Vibrancy and Saturation controls
Post by: DarkPenguin on July 21, 2008, 03:13:25 pm
On some images I like to use - vibrancy and + saturation.  (Sometimes in the extreme.  Like -90 and +100.)

I know what + saturation does but what exactly is - vibrancy doing?
Title: Vibrancy and Saturation controls
Post by: Brad Proctor on July 21, 2008, 03:21:04 pm
My understanding is that the vibrance control is the same as the saturation control except that it only affects the primary colors where saturation affects all colors.
Title: Vibrancy and Saturation controls
Post by: vandevanterSH on July 21, 2008, 04:34:12 pm
Quote
On some images I like to use - vibrancy and + saturation.  (Sometimes in the extreme.  Like -90 and +100.)

I know what + saturation does but what exactly is - vibrancy doing?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209778\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jeff explains it on one of the videos (too lazy to find it) but IIRC the Sat slider is linear and boosts all colors... the vibrance slider is non-linear and boosts the less saturated colors more the the more saturated colors.

Steve
Title: Vibrancy and Saturation controls
Post by: digitaldog on July 21, 2008, 05:05:36 pm
Quote
Jeff explains it on one of the videos (too lazy to find it) but IIRC the Sat slider is linear and boosts all colors... the vibrance slider is non-linear and boosts the less saturated colors more the the more saturated colors.

Right, with the added  benefit of skin tone protection.
Title: Vibrancy and Saturation controls
Post by: DarkPenguin on July 21, 2008, 05:43:08 pm
So when you're going negative with it it still protects skin tones?  (Can you select the race?)  Does it desaturated the saturated more or less?

Edit:  I should probably just run a test chart of some sort through it and see what it does.
Title: Vibrancy and Saturation controls
Post by: vandevanterSH on July 21, 2008, 06:33:26 pm
Quote
So when you're going negative with it it still protects skin tones?  (Can you select the race?)  Does it desaturated the saturated more or less?

Edit:  I should probably just run a test chart of some sort through it and see what it does.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209814\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

"Caucasian" skin tones only.

Steve