Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Craig Murphy on July 18, 2008, 05:27:24 pm

Title: Photoshop and Lightroom color. Not a match
Post by: Craig Murphy on July 18, 2008, 05:27:24 pm
Why is color rendition so different in the two preview windows with LR's color looking the best.  PS seems oversaturated.
 
Here is what I am doing:
     Adobe color space set to ProPhoto
     LR is set to automatically write to xmp.
     Viewing on NEC 2690


1)Download Fuji S5 Raw files from card reader to drive using ImageIngester
2)Edit/cull in Bridge (sometimes I edit in LR)
3)Import into LR

I'm viewing in PS either in ACR or just by highlighting the thumbnail to view the preview.  Look the same.

Also.  Why does LR and PS read the same color patch giving different numbers? Example: third grey patch on Macbeth checker. LR 85-85-88.....PS 209-208-218.

Thanks for any solutions.  This is kind of a drag to have the two programs looking so different.
Title: Photoshop and Lightroom color. Not a match
Post by: Nat Coalson on July 18, 2008, 06:53:38 pm
Sounds like an issue with rendering of previews and the possibility of auto-adjust settings being enabled in either Bridge/ACR and/or LR. Check the preferences for both and disable any auto-adjust settings.

The difference in color readings is that PS uses RGB Levels (0-255) and LR uses percentages.
Title: Photoshop and Lightroom color. Not a match
Post by: Craig Murphy on July 18, 2008, 07:53:24 pm
Thanks for the reply.   No auto adjust settings activated.
Title: Photoshop and Lightroom color. Not a match
Post by: DavidB on July 19, 2008, 02:06:09 am
All the times I've seen this happen it's been down to one (or both) of two factors:
Title: Photoshop and Lightroom color. Not a match
Post by: Craig Murphy on July 19, 2008, 10:46:20 am
Color spaces all set the same. My version of PS ACR is 4.5 beta.  I thought it was the latest version but now I'm looking at Adobe's website and I'm only seeing ACR 4.4.1 and I forget where the heck I got 4.5 beta.  
      Lightroom is version 1.4.1 with  version 4.4.1 Camera Raw. Think having two versions of Camera Raw might be an issue?   I shoot with a Fuji S5.

     Working with a NEC 2690.  Calibrated a couple of days ago.    How could a display profile be a problem?  Even if the calibration was wacked out PS and LR would still both be playing in the same ball park so to speak.
Title: Photoshop and Lightroom color. Not a match
Post by: Pete Ferling on July 24, 2008, 11:55:03 am
Quote
Color spaces all set the same. My version of PS ACR is 4.5 beta.  I thought it was the latest version but now I'm looking at Adobe's website and I'm only seeing ACR 4.4.1 and I forget where the heck I got 4.5 beta.   
      Lightroom is version 1.4.1 with  version 4.4.1 Camera Raw. Think having two versions of Camera Raw might be an issue?   I shoot with a Fuji S5.

     Working with a NEC 2690.  Calibrated a couple of days ago.    How could a display profile be a problem?  Even if the calibration was wacked out PS and LR would still both be playing in the same ball park so to speak.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209369\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are the external editor prefs in LR set to use 16bit ProPhoto RGB?
Title: Photoshop and Lightroom color. Not a match
Post by: Victoria Bampton on July 25, 2008, 05:32:49 am
Quote
Color spaces all set the same. My version of PS ACR is 4.5 beta.  I thought it was the latest version but now I'm looking at Adobe's website and I'm only seeing ACR 4.4.1 and I forget where the heck I got 4.5 beta.   
      Lightroom is version 1.4.1 with  version 4.4.1 Camera Raw. Think having two versions of Camera Raw might be an issue?   I shoot with a Fuji S5.

     Working with a NEC 2690.  Calibrated a couple of days ago.    How could a display profile be a problem?  Even if the calibration was wacked out PS and LR would still both be playing in the same ball park so to speak.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209369\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You got the 4.5 beta from the Adobe Labs site.  It should be backwards compatible.

Do try recalibrating - PS and LR use the profile differently (perceptual vs. relative colorimetric), and therefore a profile that looks perfect in PS can give some very weird results in LR.