Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Christopher Sanderson on July 17, 2008, 04:23:26 pm

Title: Change Raw Processing Section
Post by: Christopher Sanderson on July 17, 2008, 04:23:26 pm
Ever since I put up the Colour Management Forum I have been bugged by its position at the bottom of the Equipment & Techniques Section but can find nowhere in the Admin settings to change the order of the Forums (fora!) within each section

I would like to suggest this:

Change the Raw Processing section's name & contents to Raw & Post Processing and add all Post topics there: 'Digital Image Processing', 'Printers, Papers & Inks' and 'Colour Management'

That way we sort of even out the 'weight' of topics within each Section.

Let me know
Title: Change Raw Processing Section
Post by: seangirard on July 17, 2008, 05:15:59 pm
1
Title: Change Raw Processing Section
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 17, 2008, 06:14:56 pm
Sounds good. I was thinking of suggesting separating Equipment from Techniques, but that won't work, as topics often straddle that line.

It does seem to me that "Beginners' Questions", "For Sale", Videography", and "The Wet Darkroom" might be moved to a new group, perhaps called "Other Topics" or "General".
Title: Change Raw Processing Section
Post by: John.Murray on July 17, 2008, 07:53:54 pm
Sounds great!  Those topics are the ones I read (and have greatly benefitted) the most!

Oh yeah . . . . THANKS to you and Michael for these forums, videos, site, etc
Title: Change Raw Processing Section
Post by: Wayne Fox on July 17, 2008, 10:42:26 pm
Seems very logical .. I like it.
Title: Change Raw Processing Section
Post by: Marlyn on July 18, 2008, 01:03:36 am
+1

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Mark.
Title: Change Raw Processing Section
Post by: NikoJorj on July 18, 2008, 06:37:56 am
Quote
Change the Raw Processing section's name & contents to Raw & Post Processing and add all Post topics there: 'Digital Image Processing', 'Printers, Papers & Inks' and 'Colour Management'
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208987\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

+1!
Title: Change Raw Processing Section
Post by: rdonson on July 18, 2008, 08:02:24 am
Works for me.
Title: Change Raw Processing Section
Post by: David Good on July 18, 2008, 08:09:27 am
Yes, that makes sense.
Title: Change Raw Processing Section
Post by: 01af on July 18, 2008, 09:05:49 am
Good idea. Go ahead! Also include Managing Megabytes into the new section.

And while you're at it, I'd also suggest to merge Landscape & Nature Photography and Landscape Photography Locations into one single section, and then Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear and Digital Cameras, Backs and Shooting Techniques into another.

-- Olaf
Title: Change Raw Processing Section
Post by: Christopher Sanderson on July 18, 2008, 10:26:54 am
OK. I have made the changes as originally suggested. Let's leave it at that for now and possibly make the other logical changes once readers get used to the new layout... thereby confusing them twice  
Title: Change Raw Processing Section
Post by: john beardsworth on July 18, 2008, 12:47:54 pm
Seems more sensible. Managing Megabytes looks a bit marooned down there.
Title: Change Raw Processing Section
Post by: Christopher Sanderson on July 18, 2008, 01:13:24 pm
Quote
Seems more sensible. Managing Megabytes looks a bit marooned down there.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209176\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Maybe - but it really has to do with hardware... could go either way IMO
Title: Change Raw Processing Section
Post by: john beardsworth on July 18, 2008, 01:15:13 pm
Quote
Maybe - but it really has to do with hardware... could go either way IMO
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209183\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Isn't the difference that it's post-processing hardware? I guess the trouble is it started IIRC as a comparion of MF backs and the developed into something more DAM/archiving.
Title: Change Raw Processing Section
Post by: Peter_DL on July 18, 2008, 04:02:38 pm
Quote
Ever since I put up the Colour Management Forum I have been bugged by its position at the bottom of the Equipment & Techniques Section but can find nowhere in the Admin settings to change the order of the Forums (fora!) within each section

I would like to suggest this: Change the Raw Processing section's name & contents to Raw & Post Processing and add all Post topics there: 'Digital Image Processing', 'Printers, Papers & Inks' and 'Colour Management'

That way we sort of even out the 'weight' of topics within each Section.
Let me know
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208987\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Great decision, including to change: "the Raw Processing section's name & contents to Raw & Post Processing and add all Post topics there: 'Digital Image Processing', 'Printers, Papers & Inks' and 'Colour Management'".
As I understand, a good part of what is sold as "Raw processing" is actually "Post processing". Maybe a kind of "Scene Reconstruction” vs "Creative Processing", but now being re-combined again under one hood. Makes sense for me  

Peter

--
Title: Change Raw Processing Section
Post by: Shutterbug2006 on July 19, 2008, 12:08:47 am
Quote
Ever since I put up the Colour Management Forum I have been bugged by its position at the bottom of the Equipment & Techniques Section but can find nowhere in the Admin settings to change the order of the Forums (fora!) within each section

I would like to suggest this:

Change the Raw Processing section's name & contents to Raw & Post Processing and add all Post topics there: 'Digital Image Processing', 'Printers, Papers & Inks' and 'Colour Management'

That way we sort of even out the 'weight' of topics within each Section.

Let me know
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208987\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As for the IPB software you are using, under ADMIN CP, MANAGEMENT, MANAGE FORUMS, click on the forum with the subforums which you wish to change the order,  use the RE-ORDER CHILDREN in the title bar of the forum name directly under Show All, Create New Forum, Show Moderator Options. Just click on Re-Order Children and it will show you a list of the sub-forum names with a changeable number next to it. Re order your sub forums and click the button marked Re-Order.
Title: Change Raw Processing Section
Post by: BruceHouston on July 19, 2008, 12:22:11 am
Quote
Ever since I put up the Colour Management Forum I have been bugged by its position at the bottom of the Equipment & Techniques Section but can find nowhere in the Admin settings to change the order of the Forums (fora!) within each section

I would like to suggest this:

Change the Raw Processing section's name & contents to Raw & Post Processing and add all Post topics there: 'Digital Image Processing', 'Printers, Papers & Inks' and 'Colour Management'

That way we sort of even out the 'weight' of topics within each Section.

Let me know
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208987\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would favor your suggestion, Chris, because I could more quickly scan these topics of interest as a single list than having to click between lists.

Thanks,
Bruce
Title: Change Raw Processing Section
Post by: Christopher Sanderson on July 19, 2008, 10:01:39 am
Quote
...Just click on Re-Order Children and it will show you a list of the sub-forum names with a changeable number next to it. Re order your sub forums and click the button marked Re-Order.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209322\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ah Ha! buried way down there at the bottom - finally found it - many thanks!
Title: Change Raw Processing Section
Post by: Shutterbug2006 on July 27, 2008, 03:39:22 am
Quote
Ah Ha! buried way down there at the bottom - finally found it - many thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209362\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You're welcome!  Buried is a good description, but for the most part, IPB is pretty good to work with.