Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Murray Fredericks on July 13, 2008, 09:43:12 am

Title: Polarizors for Apo Digitar and HRs
Post by: Murray Fredericks on July 13, 2008, 09:43:12 am
Hi All,

about to try to find some polarizors for my Alpa mount lenses.

Any advice on brand and model with regard quality, problems with vignetting etc.

I need for the 35mm Apo Digitar (without centre filter), the 60mm HR, and the 90mm Apo Digitar.
With the 90mm came some step up rings - probably to get around the vignetting issue??

Oh, and possibly the 24mm Apo Digitar with CF...

Cheers

Murray
Title: Polarizors for Apo Digitar and HRs
Post by: Mort54 on July 13, 2008, 11:16:18 am
Quote
about to try to find some polarizors for my Alpa mount lenses.
You're best bet is probably to get a set of step up rings and a single high quality, larger diameter polarizer. I personally like the qualilty of B+W filters.
Title: Polarizors for Apo Digitar and HRs
Post by: snickgrr on July 13, 2008, 11:42:49 am
Don't know if they're available where you are but Harrison & Harrison filters are excellent.  Mainly known in the motion industry, they just haven't been too interested in still photographers.  I find most things that have been worked out for the film boys are better in design and build quality than for the still camera people.  

http://www.filmtools.com/harfil.html (http://www.filmtools.com/harfil.html)
Title: Polarizors for Apo Digitar and HRs
Post by: bryanyc on July 13, 2008, 11:49:30 am
Quote
Don't know if they're available where you are but Harrison & Harrison filters are excellent.  Mainly known in the motion industry, they just haven't been too interested in still photographers.  I find most things that have been worked out for the film boys are better in design and build quality than for the still camera people. 

http://www.filmtools.com/harfil.html (http://www.filmtools.com/harfil.html)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207829\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Snckgrr:  is that second little viewer a preview of the polarizer?  that would be nifty if it was accessible when mounted on the lens.  Have you used one?
Title: Polarizors for Apo Digitar and HRs
Post by: snickgrr on July 13, 2008, 12:11:03 pm
I just googled Harrison & Harrison to provide a link to them but I have no knowledge of those particular products on that page.  I have one of their large circular polarizer filters that I used on the view camera but I made my own mount for it.
Harrison & Harrison are not user friendly as far as contacting them directly.  They provide a phone# and/or email address but no website as far as I know.