Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Rob C on July 02, 2008, 06:48:09 am

Title: Fog and Smoke
Post by: Rob C on July 02, 2008, 06:48:09 am
Just goes to show you how much else there is to landscape than glorious colour...

I´ve always felt that though Michael does wonderful colour work, he has an extra edge over many by virtue of being open to, and able to exploit, other ways of seeing. Definitely more than one string to that bow!

Rob C
Title: Fog and Smoke
Post by: michael on July 02, 2008, 08:04:45 am
Rob,

Thanks. Have a look at the work of Michael Kenna, one of the finest landscape photographers in the world, and not an R, G, or B in sight.

Michael
Title: Fog and Smoke
Post by: Rob C on July 02, 2008, 12:16:02 pm
Quote
Rob,

Thanks. Have a look at the work of Michael Kenna, one of the finest landscape photographers in the world, and not an R, G, or B in sight.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204983\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Michael, I know his work well; his entry in the British Journal of Photography Annual, 1985 reads thus:

"Michael Kenna. Having studied at Banbury School of Art and LCP Michael Kenna moved to San Francisco in the late 70s and has been resident there ever since. His work has been widely exhibited and published in America and Britain."

The evidence is of grainy 35mm possibly pushed a wee bit. How things and styles can change.

For my money, I think Chip Forelli takes a lot of beating as I´ve recently mentioned.

Rob C
Title: Fog and Smoke
Post by: peteh on July 02, 2008, 10:52:01 pm
Quote
Thanks, Michael, I know his work well; his entry in the British Journal of Photography Annual, 1985 reads thus:

"Michael Kenna. Having studied at Banbury School of Art and LCP Michael Kenna moved to San Francisco in the late 70s and has been resident there ever since. His work has been widely exhibited and published in America and Britain."

The evidence is of grainy 35mm possibly pushed a wee bit. How things and styles can change.

For my money, I think Chip Forelli takes a lot of beating as I´ve recently mentioned.

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=205014\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
When I go to S.F. Now that often.In the middle of the Golden Gate Bridge it seems to be fogged in and forces you to think in Black and White.Thank You Mike for just the thought, I will still shoot in RAW and.....?
Title: Fog and Smoke
Post by: stewarthemley on July 04, 2008, 04:59:12 pm
Quote
Rob,

Have a look at the work of Michael Kenna, one of the finest landscape photographers in the world, and not an R, G, or B in sight.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204983\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Truly great photography. Dare I say it, on a par with AA.
Title: Fog and Smoke
Post by: Petrjay on July 04, 2008, 05:32:14 pm
Sure you can say it, why not? Kenna's work stands with anyone's. (as does the work of Chip Forelli, as Rob mentioned)