Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: alessandro.sgv on June 30, 2008, 02:14:21 pm

Title: Equipment for Rally Racing
Post by: alessandro.sgv on June 30, 2008, 02:14:21 pm
Hello everybody,

next saturday I'm going to go watch rally racing.
I would like take some photos of competition, but I don't know when lens take.
I could use Tokina 17-50 F2.8, but i don't know if is too short. Or I could use Ef 70-200 F4 USM,but I don't know if is too close.

Can you help me to decide when lens take?


Thank you

Ciao

Ale


I forget.....

I have a EOS 40D
Title: Equipment for Rally Racing
Post by: DarkPenguin on June 30, 2008, 02:40:22 pm
In the little bit I've shot the 70-200 would be best.  The 17-50 would have netted me a Subaru emblem imprinted on my corpse.
Title: Equipment for Rally Racing
Post by: Robert Roaldi on June 30, 2008, 03:01:10 pm
I've competed, photographed and have been involved in organization of rally. Bring both lenses. On the competitive stage roads, you'll need long zooms to keep yourself away from the cars and flying rocks and dust (or mud).  But if you have access to parc fermé or other car display or service areas, then shorter lens will come in  handy.

Don't underestimate the danger or the amount of dirt and dust. The nature of the sport means that if anything goes wrong, you will be far from help.

Remember that faster cars are released first in the start order, so there is not much chance to practice. Pick your spots and angles using the course opening cars or other landmarks. When the cars go by, you will only have a few seconds to shoot.
Title: Equipment for Rally Racing
Post by: alessandro.sgv on June 30, 2008, 03:01:39 pm
Quote
In the little bit I've shot the 70-200 would be best.  The 17-50 would have netted me a Subaru emblem imprinted on my corpse.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204542\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


     

ok ok... i will take photos with 70-200.
Title: Equipment for Rally Racing
Post by: alessandro.sgv on June 30, 2008, 03:04:09 pm
Quote
I've competed, photographed and have been involved in organization of rally. Bring both lenses. On the competitive stage roads, you'll need long zooms to keep yourself away from the cars and flying rocks and dust (or mud).  But if you have access to parc fermé or other car display or service areas, then shorter lens will come in  handy.

Don't underestimate the danger or the amount of dirt and dust. The nature of the sport means that if anything goes wrong, you will be far from help.

Remember that faster cars are released first in the start order, so there is not much chance to practice. Pick your spots and angles using the course opening cars or other landmarks. When the cars go by, you will only have a few seconds to shoot.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204548\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Thanks for your tips!
Title: Equipment for Rally Racing
Post by: alessandro.sgv on July 02, 2008, 05:10:28 am
I have last question....

Can you suggest me the best exposure time for take frozen photos?
(It's the first time with racing photos)


Ciao

Alessandro
Title: Equipment for Rally Racing
Post by: peteh on July 03, 2008, 12:13:05 am
Quote
I have last question....

Can you suggest me the best exposure time for take frozen photos?
(It's the first time with racing photos)
Ciao

Alessandro
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204967\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
1/500th and be there! OR more/ faster!