Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: parasko on June 27, 2008, 10:47:30 am

Title: Best lights/ globes for post-processing?
Post by: parasko on June 27, 2008, 10:47:30 am
Hi all,

Could you advise on which lighting conditions/ globes are best while post-processing? The lights we have at home give a warmish glow and so the images I manipulate in PS of an evening, do not look so great in daylight conditions (predominantly darker, lack tonal definition etc).

Is there an industry standard type of lighting which people use? Daylight globes? What type of lighting/globes do gallery's use?

Any advice appreciated.
Title: Best lights/ globes for post-processing?
Post by: Chris_Brown on June 27, 2008, 11:23:10 am
Quote
Is there an industry standard type of lighting which people use? Daylight globes? What type of lighting/globes do gallery's use?[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203989\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Because 99% of my work goes to a printing press, I use GE Chroma 50 lamps (4' & 8') throughout my studio. I use small desklamps that accommodate the 18" Chroma 50. Sylvania makes their own version as well.
Title: Best lights/ globes for post-processing?
Post by: peteh on June 27, 2008, 04:48:53 pm
Quote
Because 99% of my work goes to a printing press, I use GE Chroma 50 lamps (4' & 8') throughout my studio. I use small desklamps that accommodate the 18" Chroma 50. Sylvania makes their own version as well.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=203996\")
Google in:Solux I use the 4700K they make good bulbs, really they are Quartz Halogen 12 Volt lights.here's a link to where I bought mine
[a href=\"https://www.solux.net/cgi-bin/tlistore/colorproofkit.html]https://www.solux.net/cgi-bin/tlistore/colorproofkit.html[/url]
They are a reliable Co.
Title: Best lights/ globes for post-processing?
Post by: parasko on June 27, 2008, 08:18:01 pm
Quote
Because 99% of my work goes to a printing press, I use GE Chroma 50 lamps (4' & 8') throughout my studio. I use small desklamps that accommodate the 18" Chroma 50. Sylvania makes their own version as well.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203996\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I should've mentioned that the lights are not for a studio. My post-processing is done on the dining room table (LOL!) so I'm trying to find globes which are convenient for general purpose use as well as digital imaging.

So any other suggestions, based on this additional info?
Title: Best lights/ globes for post-processing?
Post by: Wayne Fox on June 30, 2008, 01:44:25 pm
Quote
I should've mentioned that the lights are not for a studio. My post-processing is done on the dining room table (LOL!) so I'm trying to find globes which are convenient for general purpose use as well as digital imaging.

So any other suggestions, based on this additional info?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204089\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So are you trying to replace the incandescent bulbs in the rooms light fixtures?  You mention the word "globes".  I'm not aware of any globes or bulbs that offer highly accurate color.  I suppose you can try some GE Reveals or some compact fluorescents.

I would suggest a small portable viewing station.  May not be in your budget but they are very helpful.