Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: 203 on June 23, 2008, 03:56:10 pm
-
Anyone know how to avoid this jaggie issue? (this is the latest 3.4.1.1)
DPP shows jagged lines where C1 does not...sharpening was set to 5/10 for the DPP one.
re:
-
What happens when you back off the sharpening?
-
Only if I go to sharpening "0" does it really go away, but then of course the whole image is soft.
Taking this unsharpened conversion and doing all sharpening within photoshop still produces a file with more jaggies than C1...
-
I compared three converters on this photo that was shot with a 5D. I guess it would be similar with the 1DsIII.
I get the best results from DXO. (Version 4.x) I am waiting for DXO version 5 to be a bit more bug free before getting it.
-
DXO 5 has been working pretty well for me all along. The latest release, from just a couple weeks ago, is substantially improved from previous 5.X versions. For example, the shadow and highlight clipping warning finally work the right way. You might want to try it now: I'm getting pretty good results.
-
DPP has jaggies while C1 and LR do not
-
Looks like a demosiacing algorithm issue combined with Raw sharpening. I get these kind of varied results only more pronounced at 200% view in several different Raw converters with my 6MP Pentax K100D's PEF files. Some do better than others.
Raw Developer (Mac only) trumps all Raw converters so far with my PEF's in regards to smoothly and realistically rendering edge detail viewed at a level where you can just make out the pixel squares. ACR 3.7 gives similar jaggies but I've been told they've improved upon such artifacts with ACR 4.4.1.
I've tried out Bibble Pro, Capture One, ACR, Pentax Photo Lab and Raw Developer.
This kind of pixel peeping would only be useful for extreme enlargements.
-
DXO 5 has been working pretty well for me all along. The latest release, from just a couple weeks ago, is substantially improved from previous 5.X versions. For example, the shadow and highlight clipping warning finally work the right way. You might want to try it now: I'm getting pretty good results.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204933\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks, I've been reading the DXO forum too. I'm tempted and may try the demo but may wait until I buy a new camera that requires version 5. If anyone looks closely at the sample that I posted, the detail above the windows has a number of artifacts in the C-1 version plus the siding is still a bit wavy. I shoot a lot of houses so DXO really helps for my work.
-
DXO 5 has been working pretty well for me all along. The latest release, from just a couple weeks ago, is substantially improved from previous 5.X versions. For example, the shadow and highlight clipping warning finally work the right way. You might want to try it now: I'm getting pretty good results.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204933\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well, if works OK as of 5.1 on Mac, but I wouldn't say it is production ready:
- I get jaggies also with strong reds on dard backgrounds, DxO R&D has yet to comment on a very detailed report sent 3 weeks ago,
- The overall interface is nice specwise, but it doesn't take much playing around to get to behave strangely,
- The application doesn't support large tifs. I was trying to use filpack on 100MP images and the DxO was never able to output a tif without crashing.
It is a useful side tool, but those looking to make it their main raw development software should IMHO look elsewhere.
As a Nikon shooter, I use mostly C1 4.1, Raw developper for critical images and recently NX2 that has gotten a lot better.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
Anyone know how to avoid this jaggie issue? (this is the latest 3.4.1.1)
DPP shows jagged lines where C1 does not...sharpening was set to 5/10 for the DPP one.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=203173\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Did you change the end points of the histogram in the RAW portion of the software? I noticed that if I move the black end point up (i.e., to the right) I can get jagged edges along curved surfaces that have a sharp edge line.