Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: perbernal on June 15, 2008, 03:27:49 pm
-
Hi guys,
What is your take on the MacBook Pro 17 2.6GHZ w/ Non Gloss High Res Screen for location and post production work? Instead of being stuck in my office photoshopping this summer, I was thinking of driving up the California coast with my RV and park at some nice locations, combining some landscape shooting in the early mornings and late afternoons with photoshop work in the middle of the day. I would hook up a Eizo ColorEdge CG 241W to the laptop as the main screen. Will this laptop give me enough speed and power to work with medium format files? I´ll appreciate any input!
Best, Per Bernal
-
I've used a 1.33 GHz first generation 17" PB for the last couple of years without any problems. Computers of course could ALWAYS be faster but I think we past the point for what works a long time ago.
-
I have that exact setup... including the 24inch Eizo.
My primary work is retouching and visualising, and that includes files from medium format digital
and larger, with often lots of layers.
Get the 4 Gig of RAM and the fastest hard-drive (the hard drive is the greatest bottleneck in speed)
It really is more than adequate for almost any activity.
The only real difference I notice comparing my Macbook Pro to the Mac Pro is when rendering 3D.
The more processors make a huge difference.
But with photoshop it is just fine.
BTW... very jealous of your plans... I would Kill to be back at the California coast again.
Didn't have my MF camera when I was there a few years back.
Have fun.
Andrew
-
I have that exact setup... including the 24inch Eizo.
My primary work is retouching and visualising, and that includes files from medium format digital
and larger, with often lots of layers.
Get the 4 Gig of RAM and the fastest hard-drive (the hard drive is the greatest bottleneck in speed)
It really is more than adequate for almost any activity.
The only real difference I notice comparing my Macbook Pro to the Mac Pro is when rendering 3D.
The more processors make a huge difference.
But with photoshop it is just fine.
BTW... very jealous of your plans... I would Kill to be back at the California coast again.
Didn't have my MF camera when I was there a few years back.
Have fun.
Andrew
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=201784\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for your input, Andrew. From what you are describing this combo sounds really good and sufficient. Will get the 4 gigs of ram and the 7200 rpm drive. Really looking forward to do this trip. I´m usually stuck in my office photoshopping 7-8 days in a row/month meeting magazine deadlines and I´m hoping this solution will make things less monotonous from now on. The only thing missing would be a fast internet hookup but a lot of camping grounds seems to be offering wifi:)
Best, Per
-
I have the same set up for the same reason.
I also bought a Sprint Treo with the full data plan called vision a little app for $25.00 called USB modem and a Seido power/sync cable and it turns the Treo into a aircard for $15.00 a month. In stead of the $69.00 per month.
Works wonders.
I also got the 4gig 200gig 7200 rpm drive.
Hope yours works as well.