Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: fabiofotomoto on June 09, 2008, 09:56:26 am

Title: Share lightroom catalog
Post by: fabiofotomoto on June 09, 2008, 09:56:26 am
Hi
i'm using lightroom 1.4.1
if i move the lightroom folder (backups, Lightroom Catalog previews.Irdata, Lightroom Catalog.Ircat) in an ethernet disk, can i share it with lightroom installed on other macs?
thanks Fabio
Title: Share lightroom catalog
Post by: Nat Coalson on June 09, 2008, 12:35:24 pm
According to Adobe, Lightroom will not run from a catalog on a network drive. I've found this to be true on my Macs.... the catalog has to be on a local drive (I use USB 2.0 externals drives).

However, I have a friend using Vista who has his catalog and image files on a server drive, mapped to a local drive letter on his machine. He uses this setup with Lightroom with no problems at all.

So depending on your configuration it may be worth a try, but given that it's not officially supported I wouldn't expect too much.
Title: Share lightroom catalog
Post by: Richowens on June 09, 2008, 01:13:09 pm
Fabio,

 As Nat said, no, there is no network support for LR in any version.

 You might want to read this thread on the LR 2.0 Feedback Forum before you try any workarounds. Dan Tull has stated that the chances of corrupting or destroying your database is almost certain.

Network support thread (http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=72&catid=678&threadid=1350937&enterthread=y)

 My personal view is that it is not worth the risk. I do the same as Nat, USB2 drive, swapped between machines.

 HTH

 Rich
Title: Share lightroom catalog
Post by: fabiofotomoto on June 10, 2008, 12:49:19 pm
Thanks for all the reply
Fabio
Title: Share lightroom catalog
Post by: martinog on June 12, 2008, 04:14:05 am
I have set up a LaCie gigabit network Raid drive so that my wife and I can both access it. We have our LR catalogs on our local drives and synchronize folders after we have been working on the photos. It’s slightly slower but more convenient than moving drives around the house.
Martin