Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: mcfoto on May 31, 2008, 06:41:44 am

Title: Brisbane photo show
Post by: mcfoto on May 31, 2008, 06:41:44 am
Hi
Just got back from Brisbane at the annual photo show. Spent some time at the L&P stand talking to a      
Phase One rep from Denmark. Camera feels really good in the hand & the focus is faster than the AFDII. Looked at lens comparison between the Hasselblad 120 vrs the new 120D Mamiya with an image taken by a Phase back. They were very close & the Mamiya 120D was slightly sharper. By Photokina I heard about the first leaf shutter lens being an 80mm. Also they are coming out with a 45 tilt shift lens that is the same one from Hartblei that will be reworked. This new lens will have software correction with the new Phase software.
Thanks Denis
Title: Brisbane photo show
Post by: elitegroup on May 31, 2008, 07:12:47 am
Quote
Hi
Just got back from Brisbane at the annual photo show. Spent some time at the L&P stand talking to a     
Phase One rep from Denmark. Camera feels really good in the hand & the focus is faster than the AFDII. Looked at lens comparison between the Hasselblad 120 vrs the new 120D Mamiya with an image taken by a Phase back. They were very close & the Mamiya 120D was slightly sharper. By Photokina I heard about the first leaf shutter lens being an 80mm. Also they are coming out with a 45 tilt shift lens that is the same one from Hartblei that will be reworked. This new lens will have software correction with the new Phase software.
Thanks Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199095\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Denis,

Thanks for the quick preview,

Regarding the first leaf shutter lens being an 80mm did you happen to find out who the european lens maker is ??

Cheers  
Title: Brisbane photo show
Post by: mcfoto on May 31, 2008, 07:36:45 am
Quote
Hi Denis,

Thanks for the quick preview,

Regarding the first leaf shutter lens being an 80mm did you happen to find out who the european lens maker is ??

Cheers 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199098\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
I asked & I could not find out.

Denis
Title: Brisbane photo show
Post by: amsp on May 31, 2008, 07:50:43 am
That's very interesting news, I hope they will be able to rework the hartblei to professional standard.
Title: Brisbane photo show
Post by: Mike W on May 31, 2008, 10:03:54 am
Quote
Also they are coming out with a 45 tilt shift lens that is the same one from Hartblei that will be reworked. This new lens will have software correction with the new Phase software.
Thanks Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199095\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

dang, I wish they would make a 35mm t/s first. Or a 28mm if that would be even possible?
Not that I could afford it, but still...it would be a very attractive kit.
Title: Brisbane photo show
Post by: James R Russell on May 31, 2008, 08:33:34 pm
Quote
dang, I wish they would make a 35mm t/s first. Or a 28mm if that would be even possible?
Not that I could afford it, but still...it would be a very attractive kit.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199114\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If this is the standard Harteblei 45mm then the glass isn't the sharpest in the world.

For people, expecially something for that soft view camera look, the 45mm is a great lens, though focus at wide open requires tethering.  (at least with my version)

Though I don't shoot products or things that don't move I think the standard 45mm will leave something to be desired.

The 45mm I have has a soft look to it and low contrast but really close it's not Zeiss crisp.

Though to be fair, it's as sharp as any tild shift Canon lens I have used.

JR
Title: Brisbane photo show
Post by: mcfoto on May 31, 2008, 08:45:05 pm
Quote
If this is the standard Harteblei 45mm then the glass isn't the sharpest in the world.

For people, expecially something for that soft view camera look, the 45mm is a great lens, though focus at wide open requires tethering.  (at least with my version)

Though I don't shoot products or things that don't move I think the standard 45mm will leave something to be desired.

The 45mm I have has a soft look to it and low contrast but really close it's not Zeiss crisp.

Though to be fair, it's as sharp as any tild shift Canon lens I have used.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199178\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi James
When I talked to the Phase One rep they said there were going to be three different groups working on this lens including Harteblie. The cost was also going up. i think it will be a wait & see on this one. There just seemed to be a buzz about Phase/Mamiya at the stand with more stuff coming. Even though I don't use Phase they are making things more attractive for MFD including by lowering the price of entry. The open platform also comes across as positive.
Denis
Title: Brisbane photo show
Post by: DesW on May 31, 2008, 08:58:52 pm
Quote
Hi
Just got back from Brisbane at the annual photo show. Spent some time at the L&P stand talking to a     
Phase One rep from Denmark. Camera feels really good in the hand & the focus is faster than the AFDII. Looked at lens comparison between the Hasselblad 120 vrs the new 120D Mamiya with an image taken by a Phase back. They were very close & the Mamiya 120D was slightly sharper. By Photokina I heard about the first leaf shutter lens being an 80mm. Also they are coming out with a 45 tilt shift lens that is the same one from Hartblei that will be reworked. This new lens will have software correction with the new Phase software.
Thanks Denis
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=199095\")

Hi Denis ,
Thanks for the update--dear old uncle Bruce P doing his selling best I presume--Ha!
We have 2 brand new 645AFD11's Plus 2 P45s-one is the latest +I have been snapping over the last few weeks and we have had mixed results with the lenses.
We have on order the new 120D--still MF I gather.
The 80mm seems fine
The 35 mm ditto

The 28MM -well we have had two -one soft on the edges--returned to Mamiya

Our second one did not fire in either body more than once--returned to Mamiya.

I gather from the dealer--Quote-"They have had issues with the 28 MM"

Hope Phase get M to  correct these "issues" -as we await lens version #3.

Staring at the assembled RED  VID Camera at present --what a heavy beast--as I type this-- gotta get to grip with it next!

Thanks again,

Des W
[a href=\"http://www.deswilliams.com/]http://www.deswilliams.com/[/url]
Title: Brisbane photo show
Post by: James R Russell on May 31, 2008, 09:13:15 pm
Quote
Hi James
When I talked to the Phase One rep they said there were going to be three different groups working on this lens including Harteblie. The cost was also going up. i think it will be a wait & see on this one. There just seemed to be a buzz about Phase/Mamiya at the stand with more stuff coming. Even though I don't use Phase they are making things more attractive for MFD including by lowering the price of entry. The open platform also comes across as positive.
Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199180\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Thanks Denis,

I don't use the tilt shift much and obviously I use it for it's lack of focus not to focus through the room, though when it's used it's a nice look.

Still, the old Harbelei is a tough lens to work with, as my version is stiff and it really takes a lap top next to you to tell what is in focus.

(http://www.russellrutherford.com/1B/image/usewonderland.original449.jpg)

I hope Phase/Mamiya gets a lot of lenses out there soon, as it really is the glass that makes a difference.

JR