Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Ed Barnacle on May 26, 2008, 02:21:54 pm
-
Does anyone here use a Canon 24mm TS with a polarizing filter? Given the shift involved I get the feeling that the standard 72mm would vignette badly. I've got a 77mm step up filter on order to use with a filter I already own, but am unsure if this is the best way to go. Oh, and it's a canon 5d and I shoot mainly architecture.
Cheers
Ed.
-
Does anyone here use a Canon 24mm TS with a polarizing filter? Given the shift involved I get the feeling that the standard 72mm would vignette badly. I've got a 77mm step up filter on order to use with a filter I already own, but am unsure if this is the best way to go. Oh, and it's a canon 5d and I shoot mainly architecture.
Cheers
Ed.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198100\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I do not have any full-frame Canon now. With the DX sensor size, to use the vernacular, you can use a regular (non ultra thin) 72mm filter with a full shift. I see no vignetting.
Thomas
-
Does anyone here use a Canon 24mm TS with a polarizing filter? Given the shift involved I get the feeling that the standard 72mm would vignette badly. I've got a 77mm step up filter on order to use with a filter I already own, but am unsure if this is the best way to go. Oh, and it's a canon 5d and I shoot mainly architecture.
Cheers
Ed.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198100\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Good question, I'll setup the 5D/TS-E24L and 72mm CP tomorrow and post a few shot.
-
Good question, I'll setup the 5D/TS-E24L and 72mm CP tomorrow and post a few shot.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=198203\")
Straight from the 5D/TS-E24L with Hoya 72mm CP.
[a href=\"http://i.pbase.com/g1/37/705637/2/97723979.4FB2P4XV.jpg]http://i.pbase.com/g1/37/705637/2/97723979.4FB2P4XV.jpg[/url]
Hope it helps.
-
Thanks so much, but I can't seem to access the image - apparently it's forbidden. Am I doing something wrong?
-
Thanks so much, but I can't seem to access the image - apparently it's forbidden. Am I doing something wrong?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198370\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It works if I copy the address and paste it in my browser. I'm using Safari or FireFox. Clicking on the link provided above produces an error.
-
Fantastic, thanks. Psychic1, would it be too much to ask you to do the same again, but with a full shift applied? I'd like to see at what point the nastiness starts happening. Cheers.
Does no one else use a polarizer with a tilt shift lens?
-
Remember that the TS will vignette at full shift even without a filter. That's what the red lines are for on the tilt/shift scales. It's not a typical corner darkening, however. It's more like you put a grad on the lens.
I've shot the 24 with a polarizer, but not w/ full shift. I don't think I've ever kept a shot at full shift because of the vignetting from image circle mentioned above.
Here's an example with a polarizer at about mid-shift (I don't remember exactly).
Dave Chew
-
Sorry, forgot to say that was on a 5D.
Dave
-
Does anyone here use a Canon 24mm TS with a polarizing filter? Given the shift involved I get the feeling that the standard 72mm would vignette badly. I've got a 77mm step up filter on order to use with a filter I already own, but am unsure if this is the best way to go. Oh, and it's a canon 5d and I shoot mainly architecture.
Cheers
Ed.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198100\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quotte]
What do you want the polarizer for? IMO, to get a professional product from a 5D and a 24t/s you have to work very carefully and not do anything to degrade the image even slightly. I use filters very very rarely. Frankly I shoot architecture and never find the need for a polarizer. In my early days shooting arch, 30 years ago, I used them all the time (primarily for darkening skies) but I seem to be able to do all that I want now in processing the file and in post.
-
Does anyone here use a Canon 24mm TS with a polarizing filter?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=198100\")
I do. I use [a href=\"http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=979&IID=5289]B+W Slim Line Käsemann Circular Polarizer[/url]. There is image vignetting at extreme shifts.
-
72mm Slim with front threads will allow full shift no vignetting. Also can add a ND if you need it.
Paul C
-
72mm Slim with front threads will allow full shift no vignetting. Also can add a ND if you need it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199575\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Last time I checked, the B+W Slim filters do not have threads in front of the filter. This is what makes them "slim".
-
What do you want the polarizer for? IMO, to get a professional product from a 5D and a 24t/s you have to work very carefully and not do anything to degrade the image even slightly. I use filters very very rarely. Frankly I shoot architecture and never find the need for a polarizer. In my early days shooting arch, 30 years ago, I used them all the time (primarily for darkening skies) but I seem to be able to do all that I want now in processing the file and in post.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199444\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It is/was for an architectural shoot of a high rise tower. It was in Dubai and I was concerned about the harsh light. I mostly shoot corporate interiors at, I guess, a semi-pro going on pro level and never use filters indoors. Surely though the same issues would occur even with a 1ds3, and I'd like the ability to use a polarizer when shifted.
Incidentally, a step-up filter arrived too late for the shoot, but there were still problems in the corners with a 77mm filter when shifted, more so than usual. As it was though, I wouldn't have actually needed it for any of the shots.
-
What do you want the polarizer for? IMO, to get a professional product from a 5D and a 24t/s you have to work very carefully and not do anything to degrade the image even slightly.
Kirk
The polarizer is one of the most essential accessories needed by serious landscape
photographers.
Darkening a sky is only one use and really is,perhaps,the only use that can be
executed successfully in post.
A polarizer is essential for removing reflections on foliage and water.The differences
with,and without,are significant and not something that can be performed in post.
Mark
-
The polarizer is one of the most essential accessories needed by serious landscape
photographers.
Useful sometimes, but I'd not want to raise it to quite such lofty status - perhaps I'm just not serious enough ;-) :-)
I've often found that (normal lens) vignetting when shifting upwards a lot for buildings works nicely in my favour for darkening skies a bit.
For myself, using the 24 TS-E on my 1Ds3 is one of the times that a filter really is only there to protect the front of the lens - I invariably remove it for any work needing much detail at shift. An old filter I used to have on it did increase vignetting slightly at full shift.
I'm hoping that the word on a new T/S lens later this year from Canon is true, and they are actually going to bring in something new at the wide end.
-
Kirk
The polarizer is one of the most essential accessories needed by serious landscape
photographers.
Mark
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200511\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Says who? I have always owned them but rarely used them. I have been photographing architecture and Southwest landscape professionally for over 30 years and rarely ever thought one was necessary.
-
I have been photographing architecture and Southwest landscape professionally for over 30 years and rarely ever thought one was necessary.
Perhaps, not necessary but for a color photographer it's, at least, as usefull as a red filter is
to a black and white photographer who wishes to severely darken a blue sky.
Mark
-
Perhaps, not necessary but for a color photographer it's, at least, as usefull as a red filter is
to a black and white photographer who wishes to severely darken a blue sky.
Mark
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200863\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The vast majority of my income comes from color photography. Whether I was shooting film or digital I rarely found the need for one.