Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Bill Caulfeild-Browne on May 24, 2008, 12:11:04 pm

Title: Selenium Meters
Post by: Bill Caulfeild-Browne on May 24, 2008, 12:11:04 pm
I'm interested in knowing whether the old selenium meters (such as are found on Rollei TLRs, Canon 7 rangefinders or Weston Master hand held meters) deteriorate? Mine, on the cameras mentioned, seem to work very well within their limitations but I read recently that prolonged exposure to light (as with my Rollei on display) will cause the meter to "fade" and gradually lose function.

I don't know why this could be but if there are any physicists out there - what say you?

Bill
Title: Selenium Meters
Post by: dalethorn on May 24, 2008, 10:39:56 pm
I had two die on me - one on a Minox BL and another a separate handheld, good brand but don't remember which (not Sekonic).  It seemed to me with daily use they might last just a couple years.
Title: Selenium Meters
Post by: NYRich on June 05, 2008, 04:37:19 pm
I've had several selenium meters fail including two or three Leica meters.

Oddly, the only one that's still working accurately is an old Sekonic that's branded "Topcon" and was produced for the Topcon 35L rangefinder from about 1957.
Title: Selenium Meters
Post by: Calder on June 22, 2008, 06:56:58 am
Quote
I've had several selenium meters fail including two or three Leica meters.

Oddly, the only one that's still working accurately is an old Sekonic that's branded "Topcon" and was produced for the Topcon 35L rangefinder from about 1957.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199940\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Bought a used Topcon 35L way back in 1958.
The camera still works and so does the meter....50 years on!!!
 I may trade in for a 1ds3....if they give me some cashback as well

Rob Calder
Title: Selenium Meters
Post by: NYRich on June 23, 2008, 03:01:56 pm
Quote
Bought a used Topcon 35L way back in 1958.
The camera still works and so does the meter....50 years on!!!
 I may trade in for a 1ds3....if they give me some cashback as well

Rob Calder
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=202811\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Rob,

That was one tank of a camera. I did shoot a few rolls of film before selling it and was very satisifed with the results.

That 1:1 finder was amazing. Just as good as an M3.

I didn't "quite" get 1ds3 money for it though. Anyway, I'm a Nikon shooter.