Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: DocD on May 22, 2008, 12:25:04 am
-
Hi, I am new to the Nikon 24mm tilt shift PC-E lens.
How do you figure out how much shift to use?
The article on L-L included tables for calculating tilt. But what about shift calculations?
For example: I need to shift up the front lens to include a whole building when standing on the street looking up. I don't want to tilt the whole camera because that would cause "key stoning"
Do you just look at the view finder and adjust shift until it looks right?
Thanks
-
Pretty much! A bubble level will help keep the camera back vertical if that's the goal (to keep vertical lines parallel); then just shit up/down or left/right until you get the composition you need.
-
Pretty much! A bubble level will help keep the camera back vertical if that's the goal (to keep vertical lines parallel); then just shit up/down or left/right until you get the composition you need.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197174\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I agree. With the Canons. I put the bubble level against viewing screen as the hot shoe is not really level and I (at least with the Canon 24-not the 45 or 90) don't ever shift all the way as there is considerable fall off evident at the extreme shifts.
I also use a grid screen as Diane mentions below, but the level against the screen is much faster. That may or may not be important to you, but a s a professional, I am oftentimes doing 40+ setups a day.
-
Hi, I am new to the Nikon 24mm tilt shift PC-E lens.
How do you figure out how much shift to use?
The article on L-L included tables for calculating tilt. But what about shift calculations?
For example: I need to shift up the front lens to include a whole building when standing on the street looking up. I don't want to tilt the whole camera because that would cause "key stoning"
Do you just look at the view finder and adjust shift until it looks right?
Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197172\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I don't use a level but have a grid screen that is helpful. I don't know if one is available for the Nikons, but I find it very useful.
Diane