Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Graham Mitchell on May 20, 2008, 10:24:06 pm

Title: What colour for the Hy6?
Post by: Graham Mitchell on May 20, 2008, 10:24:06 pm
The subject of the Hy6's colour has come up several times in this forum and others and it seems that most people would prefer a different colour scheme, i.e. plain and dark.

Here is our chance to let Sinar/Leaf/F&H know what their customers want  I will make sure some people at Sinar and F&H see this poll once there are enough results.

This is the Hy6 as it currently looks, as far as I know: (edited. I hope Thierry doesn't mind me using his snapshot)

(http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/sinarhy6e75_general.jpg)

The Sinar back is 3 different colours and the adapter is black. The body is also a mixture of colours. Is it a great design or a mess? You decide.
Title: What colour for the Hy6?
Post by: Mitchell Baum on May 20, 2008, 10:33:53 pm
Graham,

Good idea. I'm thinking of getting a Hy6. I'd be much happier if it was all black including the back.


"This is the Hy6 as it currently looks, as far as I know"

I think the red highlights in your post pic of the Hy6 were of a prototype. I think they've been changed to grey.

Best,

Mitchell
Title: What colour for the Hy6?
Post by: Graham Mitchell on May 20, 2008, 10:39:21 pm
Quote
I think the red highlights in your post pic of the Hy6 were of a prototype. I think they've been changed to grey.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196920\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, I changed the pic.
Title: What colour for the Hy6?
Post by: Graham Mitchell on May 20, 2008, 10:45:48 pm
I'm hoping that if/when black body panels will become available, and you own the existing colour scheme, you could send your camera and back in and get it back in black and looking new again for a reasonable price.

Even better to buy it black in the first place
Title: What colour for the Hy6?
Post by: thsinar on May 20, 2008, 10:48:02 pm
Graham,

thanks for this poll.

I wish to correct your posted image: this "Red Button" version of the Sinar Hy6 DOES NOT exist. It was a prototype version.

The series version is as shown here:

Best regards,
Thierry



Quote
The subject of the Hy6's colour has come up several times in this forum and others and it seems that most people would prefer a different colour scheme, i.e. plain and dark.

Here is our chance to let Sinar/Leaf/F&H know what their customers want  I will make sure some people at Sinar and F&H see this poll once there are enough results.

This is the Hy6 as it currently looks, as far as I know:

I can see yellow script on the lens, which is a departure from the classic back and white of the PQ/S lenses. The Sinar back is 2 different colours and the adapter is black. The body is also a mixture of colours. Is it a great design or a mess? You decide.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196917\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[attachment=6671:attachment][attachment=6672:attachment]
Title: What colour for the Hy6?
Post by: thsinar on May 20, 2008, 10:52:26 pm
sorry Graham, I was uploading my own images while you have been changing to the right Hy6 image: my upload speed is dramatic here in MY, about 5 kB!

Thanks,
Thierry

Quote
Thanks, I changed the pic.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196922\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: What colour for the Hy6?
Post by: thsinar on May 20, 2008, 10:57:31 pm
I don't mind Graham, of course, in the contrary.

Thanks,
Thierry

Quote
(edited. I hope Thierry doesn't mind me using his snapshot)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196917\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: What colour for the Hy6?
Post by: Graham Mitchell on May 20, 2008, 11:47:58 pm
Quote
I'd like to see a 6008-like colour scheme: all black with some coloured buttons, like a green release button and a red lens-bayonet button. Clear visual communication.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196937\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I wouldn't mind that at all. The 6008 looks good.
Title: What colour for the Hy6?
Post by: dustblue on May 21, 2008, 02:39:45 am
agreed
Quote
I wouldn't mind that at all. The 6008 looks good.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196939\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: What colour for the Hy6?
Post by: Dustbak on May 21, 2008, 03:25:26 am
I see a small niche market looming for custom Hy6 pimping
Title: What colour for the Hy6?
Post by: Adina on May 21, 2008, 03:57:00 am
Question:
Does it make sense a wise Body (especially the Digital Back)
to make the heat in the direct sun to reduce.
(Heat -> Noise)

(or silver)

Adina
Title: What colour for the Hy6?
Post by: BJNY on May 21, 2008, 07:29:40 am
I am the original complainer, and the one who complains most ( as Thierry can attest to  )
but I like the Hy6 camera body as is.
It's the digital back that needs to fit the Hy6 scheme.

I don't like the 6008's green, red, yellow (on the lenses)...all those colors make the camera look like a toy (Lego).
Title: What colour for the Hy6?
Post by: Graham Mitchell on May 21, 2008, 08:09:24 am
How about this?

(http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/sinarhy6_black_v2.jpg)
Title: What colour for the Hy6?
Post by: Mitchell Baum on May 21, 2008, 08:20:59 am
Quote
How about this?

(http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/sinarhy6_black_v2.jpg)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196991\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Looks good to me, but I'd be perfectly happy with the color of the current body if the back matched it.

I'll be paying enough to buy a car. For that kind of money, I'd like the front and the back to be the same color, and look like they were designed by the same designer. The Leaf AFI looks fine, but the screen outdoors seems to be a deal breaker. YMMV.

Best,

Mitchell
Title: What colour for the Hy6?
Post by: bradleygibson on May 21, 2008, 09:35:00 am
Exactly like this would be perfect.

I too would prefer simple, elegant black to the current scheme.

-Brad

Quote
How about this?

(http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/sinarhy6_black_v2.jpg)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196991\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: What colour for the Hy6?
Post by: Ignatz_Mouse on May 21, 2008, 03:38:14 pm
I like the Hy6 the way it is but I don´t like how the digital back matchs the camera body... When I see some pictures of the Leaf AFi version I get the impression that the grey colour of the body looks darker. Is the colour of the Sinar Hy6 exactly the same of the Leaf AFi? And what about the Rolleiflex?

(http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w33/RM003-V2/2-1.jpg)
Title: What colour for the Hy6?
Post by: TMARK on May 21, 2008, 04:00:23 pm
Matt black with white and German Safety Orange script and symbols on the controls.  

Back in the 80's my father had a H&K pistol that was a prototype for the P series. It was one of the first pistols to have a polymer grip, so it was metal and plastic.  The entire thing was a matt black with white sights and a German Safety Orange dots on the slide release lever and safety lever(s).  It was, I think, the highest expression of the old Werkbund system of German design. The Hy6 is an opportunity to build upon the tradition of German industrial design.  As it stands its a little goofy in its color scheme but brilliant in its form.  Maybe next year for me.
Title: What colour for the Hy6?
Post by: samuel_js on May 21, 2008, 06:30:11 pm
Forgive me for comparing this to another brand but...
I simply don't understand this obsession to find different color combinations. Both the Sinar and the Rolleiflex look awful (in my opinion).
As some are suggesting here, the Hy6 would look just fantastic in black . As any professional camera like the 503CW or the Contax 645. They both look and feel great.
I present you mine here...

(http://www.samuelaxelsson.com/images/LL/20080521-02.jpg)

(http://www.samuelaxelsson.com/images/LL/20080521-03.jpg)
Title: What colour for the Hy6?
Post by: TMARK on May 21, 2008, 08:25:10 pm
Quote
Something like this?

[attachment=6696:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197120\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes! but all black, maybe a stronger orange like a Pantone coated color.  

The more I think about it the Hy6 is what I'm after.  I handled one the other day with the waist level and I am sold, although I can't justify the purchase, yet.  Maybe next year.
Title: What colour for the Hy6?
Post by: TMARK on May 21, 2008, 11:04:13 pm
Quote
This is German Traffic Orange (RAL 2009).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197162\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Fantastic!