Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: evonzz on May 19, 2008, 05:49:36 am

Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: evonzz on May 19, 2008, 05:49:36 am
I am looking into upgrading a tripod head.  I have been using an acratech ball head on gitzo 1228 carbon fiber legs.  This head takes arca swiss plates.

I have recently been shooting some MF (RZ67) with ring flash in some out of the way locations so lugging a heavy set of legs is undesirable, however it can be a bit fiddly with the ball head.  

I'd like a geared head for stress free micro adjustments.  I am also looking at one of the really right stuff quick release L plates, so prob a head that will take the arca plates.

Whenever i have tried my arca brand or RRS arca quick release plates, i find that the levered manfrotto heads dont quite grip that well. however a screw tightener seems more safe n snug.

ANy recommendations for lightweight geared head?

Thanks
Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: Chris Livsey on May 22, 2008, 03:39:53 pm
Since no one seems to want to answer, there are  few relevant threads if you use search btw, Manfrotto 410 was my choice with which I have no buyers regret.
Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: Kirk Gittings on May 22, 2008, 05:09:07 pm
Quote
Since no one seems to want to answer, there are  few relevant threads if you use search btw, Manfrotto 410 was my choice with which I have no buyers regret.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197289\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The 410 is my choice for shooting architecture with a DSLR, but it will hold even my 4x5.
Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: micek on May 22, 2008, 06:24:16 pm
Manfrotto 410 here as well.
Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: marcwilson on May 26, 2008, 05:30:55 pm
same again for the 410...not perfect but the best option.
Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: Graeme Nattress on May 26, 2008, 06:08:11 pm
Manfrotto 410 is superb. It's holding a RED ONE at the moment, so it's surely got the strength! Works great with DSLR and 500mm L too.

Graeme
Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: Kirk Gittings on May 26, 2008, 06:16:13 pm
Quote
Manfrotto 410 is superb. It's holding a RED ONE at the moment, so it's surely got the strength! Works great with DSLR and 500mm L too.

Graeme
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198155\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A red one? Never seen that.
Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: Graeme Nattress on May 26, 2008, 07:28:25 pm
www.red.com

Graeme
Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: AlanG on May 26, 2008, 10:03:13 pm
I shoot architecture. I've been using the Manfrotto 410 for years. It's great.
Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: Wolfman on May 27, 2008, 01:32:51 am
Quote
I shoot architecture. I've been using the Manfrotto 410 for years. It's great.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=198214\")

I use the Manfrotto 405 and it changed my life: [a href=\"http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/244282-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_405_405_Pro_Digital_Geared.html]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2442...tal_Geared.html[/url]

It's a heavier duty version of the 410 and much smoother, albeit bigger and heavier.
Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: DonShreve on June 27, 2008, 01:55:49 pm
Quote
I shoot architecture. I've been using the Manfrotto 410 for years. It's great.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198214\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Does anyone know if you can remove the Bogen QR system & replace it with an ArcaSwiss type release, or do you have to screw the Arca Swiss release onto the Bogen release?
Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: Nill Toulme on June 27, 2008, 02:05:24 pm
Quote
Does anyone know if you can remove the Bogen QR system & replace it with an ArcaSwiss type release, or do you have to screw the Arca Swiss release onto the Bogen release?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=204029\")
[a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24870&pid=204023&st=0&#entry204023]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....=0&#entry204023[/url]

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: Nill Toulme on July 05, 2008, 12:33:31 pm
Here are some shots of the 410 to give a better idea of size and how the QR system looks.  The tripod is a Gitzo 1325 with 1321 leveling base.

(http://www.toulme.net/misc/410head/080704-Bogen410-001.jpg)

(http://www.toulme.net/misc/410head/080704-Bogen410-002.jpg)

(http://www.toulme.net/misc/410head/080704-Bogen410-003.jpg)

(http://www.toulme.net/misc/410head/080704-Bogen410-004.jpg)

(http://www.toulme.net/misc/410head/080704-Bogen410-005.jpg)

(http://www.toulme.net/misc/410head/080704-Bogen410-006.jpg)

One other thing perhaps worth noting about this head is with its fairly small base, it won't let you point the camera very high when mounted on a large platform like the 1321, because the head's lowest adjustment knob starts to hit the platform.  I have a vague recollection that Bogen or somebody offers a tripod platform riser/extension of some sort that might solve this.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: Jonathan Wienke on July 05, 2008, 03:25:05 pm
Nill, you have the camera mounted on the head sideways. If you turn the camera so that the quick-release lever is in front of the camera, then the tilt clearance issue goes away. The axis with limited movement is used for leveling camera tilt, which generally doesn't need much adjustment if the tripod is leveled properly. Additional advantages are that both main axes of adjustment (pan & tilt) are now conveniently facing you, and the center axis of the lens now passes through the axis of rotation, instead of being offset to the side. Top the head off with a Manfrotto 454 Positioning Plate (http://www.amazon.com/Bogen-Manfrotto-Micro-Positioning-Plate/dp/B0000AE668) and you have an excellent setup for shooting stitched panos; the adjustment of the plate allows you to align the axis of rotation with the entrance pupil (nodal point) of the lens to eliminate parallax errors.
Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: Nill Toulme on July 05, 2008, 03:45:21 pm
Thanks Jonathan.  I obediently followed the direction of the "lens" arrow on the bottom of the QR plate... didn't think to try it in another direction.  ;-)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: Jonathan Wienke on July 05, 2008, 04:17:39 pm
Maybe it's a misprint? Whatever the reason, the head is much more useful if you ignore the manufacturer's suggestion and point the lens toward the release lever.
Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: Nill Toulme on July 05, 2008, 04:50:37 pm
I bet it's because they anticipate using that axis to crank the camera over into portrait orientation, not just for minor leveling.  But using it with an L-plate, as I am, plainly your way makes more sense.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: geesbert on July 14, 2008, 04:35:57 pm
i use the 410 with a novoflex Arca-style quick release mounted on the manfrotto plate and a RRS L-Plate.

 as the arca QR system lets you mount the camera in both directions i can use the head bothways.

the 410 is great, but after many years of use mine gets a bit wobbley, probably the gears are wearing out. i probably wil get another one...
Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: geesbert on July 14, 2008, 04:39:22 pm
another suggestion could be an Arca Cube. very expensive, but an amazing piece of engineering. i played around with it at the last photokina, but never used it properly
Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: JRDavis on July 15, 2008, 08:28:47 pm
The 410 would be my suggestion. I run a pro camera store in western Canada and aside from using it myself I've sold many to very satisfied customers. It is very well made, easy to adjust and will tolerate some pretty hefty weight.

John
Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: JeffKohn on July 15, 2008, 11:22:49 pm
Quote
another suggestion could be an Arca Cube. very expensive, but an amazing piece of engineering. i played around with it at the last photokina, but never used it properly
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=208176\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have the C1 Cube. I like using it a lot, but I'm still bitter about the price. The reasons I decided to bite the bullet and go with the C1 were

1) Smaller and lighter than most geared heads, but still very sturdy.
2) Built-in Arca-style clamp, no need to jury-rig Arca clamp on top of proprietary QR system.
3) Dual panning bases makes it more convenient for shooting panos.
4) Design keeps the weight more centered

At $1000 I would enthusiastically recommend it, because for precision work I think it's much better than any ballhead. At $2K I realize it's a tough sell for most people.

I probably would have gone with the Manfrotto if you could completely remove their QR clamp and replace it with an Arca-style clamp like you can on some of their other heads. It's really a shame they made the QR clamp non-removeable on the geared heads.
Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: graeme on July 18, 2008, 06:51:19 am
I followed the advice of others on this forum and bought a manfrotto 410. I mainly use it for photographing stained glass windows. I use bracketed exposures which I need to line up pixel perfect ( huge dynamic range to deal with ) so that I can blend them using masks.

So far I've been 100% pleased with the manfrotto. It seems especially good value for money.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Graeme
Title: Best lightweight geared tripod head?
Post by: doubledark on August 05, 2008, 06:46:13 pm
Quote
Does anyone know if you can remove the Bogen QR system & replace it with an ArcaSwiss type release, or do you have to screw the Arca Swiss release onto the Bogen release?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=204029\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Hi all

so in order to use the 410 head with the L bracket you also need a RRS quick release clamp; is this correct?

or is there another better option for a clamp?

thanks