Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Paul2660 on May 15, 2008, 07:40:33 pm

Title: moire on fabric question
Post by: Paul2660 on May 15, 2008, 07:40:33 pm
I originally posted this in a different section, but if anyone on this site has some ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.

What are others using for pattern moire in fabric? I have a number of shots taken for a office president and on the blue shirt, I have large moire patterns. These were taken with a 1ds MKII, which generally does OK, but this time, with the flash and the blue shirt I picked up consider pattern moire.

I tried the Phase one filter and it really had no effect on these images. The files were taken raw, so if anyone can recommend a converter software that might work better I would be open to that also. I used ACR 4.3 and Capture One 3.7.8. for my conversions.

The shots are going to be printed at around 18 x 24, so the patterns will show up.

Thanks
Paul C
Title: moire on fabric question
Post by: Graham Mitchell on May 16, 2008, 05:52:39 am
I have 2 methods I use for this. The first failed on your image, and this was the best I could do with the second. It uses no masking so it's quick.

(http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/moire2_copy1.jpg)
Title: moire on fabric question
Post by: James R Russell on May 16, 2008, 10:15:34 am
Quote
I originally posted this in a different section, but if anyone on this site has some ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.

What are others using for pattern moire in fabric? I have a number of shots taken for a office president and on the blue shirt, I have large moire patterns. These were taken with a 1ds MKII, which generally does OK, but this time, with the flash and the blue shirt I picked up consider pattern moire.

I tried the Phase one filter and it really had no effect on these images. The files were taken raw, so if anyone can recommend a converter software that might work better I would be open to that also. I used ACR 4.3 and Capture One 3.7.8. for my conversions.

The shots are going to be printed at around 18 x 24, so the patterns will show up.

Thanks
Paul C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196001\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It might be too late now but if you have another image of the shirt that is close in proportion, but not moired, retouch it in.

Blue tight weave on flash can moire with any digital camera, so if possible hand hold and move around.

JR
Title: moire on fabric question
Post by: MichaelEzra on May 16, 2008, 12:01:12 pm
Here is what I could get after inverted high pass filter, threshold, coloring and masking:
Title: moire on fabric question
Post by: Paul2660 on May 16, 2008, 08:50:09 pm
Thanks to all,
James, that was the best of the 4 I took, the rest were really bad.  I have really never gotten moire that like that before that the Phase One filter couldn't handle.

Foto-z, if i can ask, what is your method?  it gives a very nice look to the shirt.

Michael can you also descibe your method?  

Thanks

Paul C
Title: moire on fabric question
Post by: Graham Mitchell on May 16, 2008, 09:34:52 pm
Quote
Foto-z, if i can ask, what is your method?  it gives a very nice look to the shirt.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196184\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have to warn you, it's quite complex to understand and probably only for expert Photoshop users, but if you are up to it, it's fast to use. You need to install an action and read up on "graphics eq" by Byro. It's basically a 9-band graphic equalizer for images, allowing you to enhance or reduce different frequencies.
Title: moire on fabric question
Post by: MichaelEzra on May 16, 2008, 10:14:58 pm
" 9-band graphic equalizer for images" - I would love to have that!!!


The method  I used is a 1-band equalizer:)
1. Copy layer
2. High-pass filter so emphasize moire pattern
3. threshold to get BW moire pattern
4, slight blur
4. invert
5. switch layer to lightness mode
6. mask what is necessary
7. adjust opacity

this will kill lightness pattern in the moire

8. the next step is to remove out the color pattern
I selected the "high-pass" layer and applied it as a mask to the Hue-Saturation adjustment layer. Here use "Colorize" option to add color to otherwise gray moire.

9 adjust opacities and fine-tune  masks
10. selective sharpening
11. merge

thats it...
Title: moire on fabric question
Post by: Kumar on May 16, 2008, 11:08:06 pm
More info on the "Graphics Eq" by Ro action here:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/rp-tutori...ing-radius.html (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/rp-tutorials/9211-high-pass-gaussian-choosing-radius.html)

and

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=149 (http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=149)

You have to join the forum to get the action. It's the best place to get info on retouching.

Cheers,
Kumar
Title: moire on fabric question
Post by: Paul2660 on May 17, 2008, 11:46:01 am
Thanks to all,

I am joined the forum and pulled down the action, will work with it later today.

Paul C
Title: moire on fabric question
Post by: Ray on May 18, 2008, 11:34:10 am
Quote
I have 2 methods I use for this. The first failed on your image, and this was the best I could do with the second. It uses no masking so it's quick.

 ).

If the 1Ds2 can produce moire like this, then one wonders what a P21 or p25 would have produced in these circumstances. Would the lower harmonics have been more pronounced and more difficult to correct?