Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: hubell on May 14, 2008, 09:13:58 pm

Title: Hasselblad GPS Module
Post by: hubell on May 14, 2008, 09:13:58 pm
Hasselblad recently started shipping the dedicated GPS module for use with its H3D(and I believe H2D) series of cameras. For those that do landscape photography in often remote and unfamiliar terrain and want to be able to pinpoint the location for various reasons, including the possibility of  revisiting the location under more favorable lighting conditions, this is a wonderful feature. Here's a photograph of the module, which is about the size of a 35mm film cannister, attached to the camera. It is powered by the regular battery that powers the camera and the back.


[attachment=6583:attachment]


The files with the embedded GPS data have to be imported with the new Hasselblad Raw converter, Phocus. When you do so, the GPS coordinates show up as part of the other metadata associated with the image file.


[attachment=6584:attachment]



[attachment=6585:attachment]



With a specific file open in the Viewer Window in Phocus and Google Earth already open on the Mac, you just click on Map under the Image Pull-Down Menu in Phocus and you are immediately taken to the Google Earth interface and your photograph and its pinpoint location show up on a detailed map of the location where the photograph was taken.
[attachment=6586:attachment]

[attachment=6587:attachment]
Title: Hasselblad GPS Module
Post by: Graham Mitchell on May 15, 2008, 03:48:46 am
I heard about a GPS module which works with any camera, by storing your location and time data for as long as you want, then matching up the data with the photo timestamps later and entering the data into the EXIF. This way, nothing needs to be attached to the camera. Seems like a good solution (working with all your cameras). Actually I believe you can do this with many GPS modules and various applications. Anyone tried it?
Title: Hasselblad GPS Module
Post by: josayeruk on May 15, 2008, 03:56:12 am
Wow!  Nice hcubell!

A very tempting Birthday present for me.  


Quote
I heard about a GPS module which works with any camera, by storing your location and time data for as long as you want, then matching up the data with the photo timestamps later and entering the data into the EXIF. This way, nothing needs to be attached to the camera. Seems like a good solution (working with all your cameras). Actually I believe you can do this with many GPS modules and various applications. Anyone tried it?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195852\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry but I think a dedicated solution is much more elegant.  The GPS modules won't necessarily work with RAW files?  Then I also have an additional step to do with matching up the files to GPS tags.
Title: Hasselblad GPS Module
Post by: Graham Mitchell on May 15, 2008, 05:03:38 am
Quote
Sorry but I think a dedicated solution is much more elegant.  The GPS modules won't necessarily work with RAW files?  Then I also have an additional step to do with matching up the files to GPS tags.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195853\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, definitely more elegant. It all comes down to how much you intend to use this feature and how much you want to spend. I know that DNG files are supported by some of these apps so at least some MFDBs are covered.
Title: Hasselblad GPS Module
Post by: jecxz on May 15, 2008, 06:00:48 am
Very nice!

But it will not fit on my H because I use an L bracket that covers that part of the camera! But I would really like to use this.
Title: Hasselblad GPS Module
Post by: Frank Doorhof on May 15, 2008, 07:10:39 am
I use the Gisteq pro (supports RAW files).
I choose that one because I shoot with 3 different digital cameras during some trips, and I want to track everything ofcourse.
Also the pricepoint with $129.00 is very nice.

Do like that more camera manufactorers are making upgrades however.
Title: Hasselblad GPS Module
Post by: Jeff-Grant on May 15, 2008, 07:21:14 am
My L bracket has been modified to allow the GPS unit to fit. It's a bit of a fiddle but doable.

Quote
Very nice!

But it will not fit on my H because I use an L bracket that covers that part of the camera! But I would really like to use this.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195860\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Hasselblad GPS Module
Post by: Dustbak on May 15, 2008, 07:56:18 am
What modification is necessary? Just some cutting away at the part that covers the data port (is the bracket still reliable from a construction pov)? Have you ordered the L-bracket custom-made or had a metalshop do it?
Title: Hasselblad GPS Module
Post by: yaya on May 15, 2008, 08:21:30 am
I'm curious as to how well it works with the camera rotated on its side with a chunk of alloy "blocking" the satellites' site. I know that some in-car satnav receivers aren't happy unless they are placed under a clear glass...

Anyone with experience?
Title: Hasselblad GPS Module
Post by: jecxz on May 15, 2008, 08:40:27 am
Quote
My L bracket has been modified to allow the GPS unit to fit. It's a bit of a fiddle but doable.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195866\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Jeff,

Is it possible to provide me with more info on this, which L bracket?

I use the Really Right Stuff L bracket for H mount.

(http://reallyrightstuff.com/mmRRS/Images/thumb/BH1L.gif)

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Derek
Title: Hasselblad GPS Module
Post by: Dustbak on May 15, 2008, 09:05:15 am
I have the same which I plan on not taking off anymore
Title: Hasselblad GPS Module
Post by: hubell on May 15, 2008, 10:22:43 am
I use the same L-bracket as well, and it never leaves my camera.  Fortunately, the bracket only needs a minor "modification " to still fit on the H camera with the GPS module in place. You just have to file a very slight amount off at the inside edge at the very top of the bracket where it just touches the GPS. You can do it yourself with a file, and it does not at all compromise the stability of the bracket. Jeff has already done the modification on his bracket but is still waiting for the GPS unit.



Quote
I have the same which I plan on not taking off anymore
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195883\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Hasselblad GPS Module
Post by: hubell on May 15, 2008, 10:49:55 am
No problemso far.  As  you can see above, the image shown in the screen grab from the Phocus software is a vertical image where the camera was mounted on a tripod with a RRS L-bracket in portrait mode. What I don't know is whether the GPS chip that Hasselblad is using is one of the latest generation chips. They make a huge difference in obtaining and maintaining satellite reception under less than ideal conditions. I have a newer Garmin handheld unit and it way more reliable than my first one from several years ago.



Quote
I'm curious as to how well it works with the camera rotated on its side with a chunk of alloy "blocking" the satellites' site. I know that some in-car satnav receivers aren't happy unless they are placed under a clear glass...

Anyone with experience?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195876\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Hasselblad GPS Module
Post by: hubell on May 17, 2008, 07:31:16 pm
Here is a photo of the RRS L-bracket mounted on the H3D with the GPS in place. A very small amount of material had to be filed off in order to provide the clearance for the GPS.


[attachment=6629:attachment]
Title: Hasselblad GPS Module
Post by: Dustbak on May 18, 2008, 02:54:55 am
I see the bracket can no longer be fitted tight around the body with the GPS module. This would not be my preferred solution I think.

Does the GPS unit also come with a cable or is it a complete block only that is plugged into the body?
Title: Hasselblad GPS Module
Post by: jecxz on May 18, 2008, 07:04:34 am
Quote
I see the bracket can no longer be fitted tight around the body with the GPS module. This would not be my preferred solution I think.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196344\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have to agree, my L bracket is not that far from the camera body. I wonder if that is a different version of the RRS L bracket than the one I have. Thank you for posting the photo.
Title: Hasselblad GPS Module
Post by: hubell on May 18, 2008, 07:47:39 am
Same bracket. There are two holes for the screw on the bracket. The "regular" hole attaches the bracket so that the vertical arm is snug to the body. Using the other hole in the bracket, the vertical arm moves out a bit from the body. It actually makes the camera "more" comfortable to hold in a way as the vertical arm functions a bit like a handle on that side of the camera  that balances the weight of the camera between your two hands. Try it.
There is no cable that you can use to attach the GPS to the camera. I suppose Hasselblad could create an adapter if there was enough demand. Better yet, in the H4, skip the built-in flash and put the GPS in instead.



Quote
I have to agree, my L bracket is not that far from the camera body. I wonder if that is a different version of the RRS L bracket than the one I have. Thank you for posting the photo.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196358\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Hasselblad GPS Module
Post by: jecxz on May 18, 2008, 10:16:12 am
Quote
Same bracket. There are two holes for the screw on the bracket. The "regular" hole attaches the bracket so that the vertical arm is snug to the body. Using the other hole in the bracket, the vertical arm moves out a bit from the body. It actually makes the camera "more" comfortable to hold in a way as the vertical arm functions a bit like a handle on that side of the camera  that balances the weight of the camera between your two hands. Try it.
There is no cable that you can use to attach the GPS to the camera. I suppose Hasselblad could create an adapter if there was enough demand. Better yet, in the H4, skip the built-in flash and put the GPS in instead.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196367\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Two holes! I'm checking that shortly.

Good idea about dumping the flash and replacing it with the GPS, but instead, make it a module receiver for components like GPS, flash, blue tooth file transmitter, etc...

I wonder why they didn't call the H3DII the H4?