Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Stuarte on May 11, 2008, 01:29:39 pm

Title: What could be causing weird reds?
Post by: Stuarte on May 11, 2008, 01:29:39 pm
On the odd occasions where I have a picture with very strong reds, they look wrong on my combination of LR + Mac (both MacBook Pro and iMac).

These photos (below, neither with serious artistic intent ) gives an idea of what I'm talking about.  Any ideas what might be causing it?  I shoot with an EOS 5D

(http://photos.vivir-con-arte.com/photos/293319812_yMCcK-M.jpg) (http://stuarte.smugmug.com/photos/168314966_fTFNo-M.jpg)
Title: What could be causing weird reds?
Post by: jjj on May 11, 2008, 03:03:19 pm
If you mean they don't look like the Jpegs produced by camera, nothing unusual there, oranges also fare poorly I find. You can calibrate ACR/LR using something like the Fors script, which you'll find refernces to on LL. Search forum [or web] to find out more.
I gather you get 'better' colours using Canon's DPP, but then there are workflow issues compared to LR.
Title: What could be causing weird reds?
Post by: The Vulcan on May 12, 2008, 02:36:54 am
Take a look at this thread - might be helpful

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=17064 (http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17064)
Title: What could be causing weird reds?
Post by: Nat Coalson on May 12, 2008, 01:26:58 pm
I've repeatedly seen that doing Fors calibration results in a huge improvement in the "baseline" defaults for images from a specific camera. I have presets saved for all the cameras I've used over the past 5 years.

Generating the necessary Calibration settings is not difficult but does require an X-Rite Color Checker and some knowledge of Photoshop and ACR to get the correct results.