Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Samotano on May 11, 2008, 01:26:07 pm

Title: LowePro DryZone how to use in wet places
Post by: Samotano on May 11, 2008, 01:26:07 pm
I owned a DryZone 200 for a few months now.  However, I have not yet tested the waterproof aspect of the bag.  I am planning a trip to Costa Rica for this fall that includes gettin really wet.  Last time I was there -I did not have a DryZone- I had to forgo taking some great shots because the only way to access the area was to climb a waterfall.  

My question is what is the correct use of the Dryzone?  Do I empty the outer compartment for example? Most people and forum posts I came across only mention the use of the DryZone in mildly wet conditions.  I need some insight on the rougher side of things... :-)
Title: LowePro DryZone how to use in wet places
Post by: Hank on May 11, 2008, 01:57:03 pm
Not specific to DryZone, but to completely waterproof bags in general when used in wet climates:

Beware of moisture buildup inside the bag.  They're as impervious to water getting out as to water getting in.  It's a special issue if you open the bag outdoors in high humidity or even manage to dribble some water in, then come back indoors to air conditioning.  Best strategy is to allow the bag to acclimate an hour or two to ambient indoors before opening it, then remove all the contents overnight and leave the bag open, toweling out any accumulated moisture before going to bed.

I.e, even if you keep water from seeping in, time and temperature changes can result in accumulation within the bag.
Title: LowePro DryZone how to use in wet places
Post by: Adam Schallau on May 11, 2008, 03:25:09 pm
Do you have anything important or valuable in the outside compartment? If so, then yes you would need to transfer those items into the DryPod compartment.

On my recent canoe trip through Santa Elena Canyon in Big Bend National Park, Lowepro sponsored me with a DryZone 200. I used the outside compartment for non-electronic gear such as filters. At one point in the trip the bag was completely submerged in the Rio Grande River with all of my camera gear safely packed away inside.

One important point about using the DryZone is to keep the zipper clean and lubricated. I inspected my bag every night after shooting and would brush or wipe away any debris, and would apply a small amount of lubricant per the manufacturer's directions.

Take care of the TIZIP zipper on the DryPod and you will be fine.