Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Jason_Newton on May 06, 2008, 10:53:31 am

Title: Question about XMP Sidecar Files
Post by: Jason_Newton on May 06, 2008, 10:53:31 am
Hi there,

I have one simple question regarding XMP Sidecar Files I wonder if anyone could answer.

Firstly, if I create a file for an image and then at a later date add additional metadata to that image, does LR create another XMP file for that image or just over-write the existing one?

Kind Regards
Title: Question about XMP Sidecar Files
Post by: Schewe on May 06, 2008, 12:07:28 pm
Quote
Firstly, if I create a file for an image and then at a later date add additional metadata to that image, does LR create another XMP file for that image or just over-write the existing one?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193819\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


It doesn't create a "new one" nor will it "overwrite" the old one...it updates (adds to or changes) the existing one...if, and only if you save out the Lightroom XMP to the file. If a file starts out with an XMP and you do changes in Lightroom, the changes are stored in Lightroom, not the XMP file unless you either have save changes to XMP turned on or you actually hit command (control) S in Lightroom.
Title: Question about XMP Sidecar Files
Post by: Jason_Newton on May 06, 2008, 02:54:27 pm
Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

Regards