Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: bleu73 on April 29, 2008, 07:44:26 am

Title: Glaciers landscape
Post by: bleu73 on April 29, 2008, 07:44:26 am
There's a place where I would  stay for the rest of my life,
a place where I would find the rest for eternity.

It is in the French Alps, facing the Mont Pourri's glaciers 12 467 feet (3 800 meters)
Do you share my point of view ? (in the two senses of the term...)

See more : Savoy Nature (http://savoie.nature.free.fr)


(http://savoie.nature.free.fr/lieux/Glaciers%20Monal/slides/monal%20automne_259.jpg)


(http://savoie.nature.free.fr/lieux/Glaciers%20Monal/slides/monal%20automne_224.jpg)
Title: Glaciers landscape
Post by: Geoff Wittig on April 29, 2008, 10:53:14 am
Certainly a beautiful vista.

I don't know about rest for eternity, though. Given current climate trends, those lovely glaciers will be gone within a few decades, leaving bare rock and talus scree.
Title: Glaciers landscape
Post by: NikoJorj on April 29, 2008, 12:06:56 pm
Quote
I don't know about rest for eternity, though.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192488\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Le Monal is not exactly a very convenient place to stay for the whole winter!   To see the positive in it, I don't think you'll have much neighborhood problems between november and april, apart from the New Year's Eve of course.

But yes it's really a loooovely place, one of the few pretty places of the otherwise resort-devoured Tarentaise (NB : les Arcs behind the Mont Pourri, Tignes/Val d'Isere at the left outside the frame)...
I particularly love these small stone houses (made of "lauze", in the light grey local flavour of mica-schist), they really fit their surroundings to an amazing point - showing that human presence does not necessarily diminish nature, but can embellish it. Something all architects should study, eg the ones involved in the following photo!
Title: Glaciers landscape
Post by: bleu73 on April 29, 2008, 07:08:57 pm
Your photo of this ugly resort. It is the hell !

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192503\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]
Title: Glaciers landscape
Post by: BernardLanguillier on May 12, 2008, 01:34:30 am
Quote
It is in the French Alps, facing the Mont Pourri's glaciers 12 467 feet (3 800 meters)
Do you share my point of view ? (in the two senses of the term...)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192458\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, but - at the risk of looking a bit harsh - I am sure that there is a way to take pictures of this wonderful place with more interesting skies... white really doesn't do it for me.  

Cheers,
Bernard