Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Streetwise on April 21, 2008, 04:24:16 pm
-
I've been reading and looking at a lot of what's being put out by the Mamiya 28mm lens and am impressed. I've got an interior shoot at a elementary school coming up where I'll be shooting a reception area in a corridor, a new board room, and an executive office. Initially, I was going to rent either a 24mm or 35mm Schneider for my Cambo WideDS body, but I have the chance to rent a 28mm lens for my 645AFD. So my big dilemma is "Which should I rent"?
Is the 28mm Mamiya the same as what a 28mm lens is on a Cambo (assuming no shifting) would be? What I'm worried about is that I might not be able to get wide enough with the Mamiya setup... Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
I've got an Aptus 65 back.
Thanks.
-
Rent the 28 for the Mamiya!
Much easier in the handling department.
Cheers,
WR.
-
Rent the 28 for the Mamiya!
Much easier in the handling department.
Cheers,
WR.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191072\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That was my main thought. I've mentioned before that using the CamboWide is a bit clunky for me (even thought I get great results...) But with the opportunity to rent the Mamiya, I'm thinking that I'll be able to work much faster and concentrate more on the "art" and less on the technical. Should be interesting...
I'm still a bit concerned that it will be wide enough compared to using a 35mm Schneider and shifting ±10mm or so. Thoughts?
Dave
-
A 28mm on a "full frame sensor" should be more than wide enough.
However,this depends on your shooting style and who you are shooting for.
Most interior design mags don't like shots to wide(geometric distortion)
My 2cw.
Cheers,
WR.
-
Rent the 28 for the Mamiya!
Much easier in the handling department.
Cheers,
WR.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191072\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi
I agree. This is one fantastic lens & I know a very good landscape photographer who loves it.
Thanks Denis
-
I've been reading and looking at a lot of what's being put out by the Mamiya 28mm lens and am impressed. I've got an interior shoot at a elementary school coming up where I'll be shooting a reception area in a corridor, a new board room, and an executive office. Initially, I was going to rent either a 24mm or 35mm Schneider for my Cambo WideDS body, but I have the chance to rent a 28mm lens for my 645AFD. So my big dilemma is "Which should I rent"?
Is the 28mm Mamiya the same as what a 28mm lens is on a Cambo (assuming no shifting) would be? What I'm worried about is that I might not be able to get wide enough with the Mamiya setup... Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
I've got an Aptus 65 back.
Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191048\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It's a paying job, right? Would you go into the job with a lens you've never used before? Which lens flares more? Which one ghosts more? How easy is it to correct the barrel distortion on the 28? Does your Aptus exhibit color casts or centerfold with the 24 or 35?
If it was me, or any of the photographers I learned from by assisting, the only answer would be to rent both lenses days before the shoot and test them side by side in similar conditions. If this is not possible, then show up on the job with both lenses, schedule a little extra time to do the first shot with both lenses, and then decide which one to use for the rest of the day. Hopefully renting two lenses instead of one won't break the budget.
-
Yep, it's a paying gig, but for only one lens choice. I just got the lens in and I'm really impressed. It might be too wide I'm thinking now... Anyhow, I'm sure it will work fine. I've got this evening and tomorrow to run some tests.
Has anyone reported any color cast issues with it that I need to be aware of?
Thanks
Dave
-
Yep, it's a paying gig, but for only one lens choice. I just got the lens in and I'm really impressed. It might be too wide I'm thinking now... Anyhow, I'm sure it will work fine. I've got this evening and tomorrow to run some tests.
Has anyone reported any color cast issues with it that I need to be aware of?
Thanks
Dave
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191511\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I use the 28 mm with a P45+ and have noticed no color cast issues. (Somewhat to my surprise!)
Good luck!
Bill