Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: fraherim on April 05, 2008, 12:46:01 pm
-
Hi,
I am considering changing systems and am interested in hearing from someone who went from CaptureOne to Flexicolor.
Two Part Question:
Shooting Tethered differences?
Processing Files I have read that FlexiColor starts out much different as an unaltered file compared to CaptureOne with adjustments for a closer start in tonality. Does this mean it's closer to the linear setting in CaptureOne?
Does Flexcolor have some canned settings for tonality or can you create these yourself?
I also hear that the files FlexColor have to be sharpened much more.
I am also thinking about staying with the PC platform. Is there a big difference in the 2 platforms with Flexicolor?
I know that experience will help but any advise would be helpful.
Bob
-
I use Flexcolor but can not help you answering your questions on how it differs from C1. Did you apply for a membership on the Flexframe group on yahoo? If not, you should.
I use both platforms, I find the user interface on PC a bit more clunky looking. Functionalitywise I have not found any difference. I use MacOS on the MBP and Windows on the studio machine.
Flexcolor starts as a fairly flat file. You can opt to process it like that and continue in PS or yo can make some starting adjustments in Flexcolor. I sometimes do one or the other depending on the file in front of me.
When working mostly in flexcolor.
I start putting the exposure at the level I like, crop, set levels, set curves, change color balance if necessary (or wanted), set a bit of sharpening (I always process in PS and do sharpening at the end depending on the medium I will be presenting the image on) and process into the file format of choice.
When doing most in PS.
I keep the file as flat as possible, set the exposure correctly and process into the file format of choice (tiff 16bit if I plan on wrecking the hell out of the file otherwise JPG).
There is also the option of converting FFF files towards DNG. This I do with packshots which afterwards are dropped onto a droplet or I have actions run over them via Adobe Bridge.
I hope this will help you on your way?
-
Hi,
I am considering changing systems and am interested in hearing from someone who went from CaptureOne to Flexicolor.
Two Part Question:
Shooting Tethered differences?
Processing Files I have read that FlexiColor starts out much different as an unaltered file compared to CaptureOne with adjustments for a closer start in tonality. Does this mean it's closer to the linear setting in CaptureOne?
Does Flexcolor have some canned settings for tonality or can you create these yourself?
I also hear that the files FlexColor have to be sharpened much more.
I am also thinking about staying with the PC platform. Is there a big difference in the 2 platforms with Flexicolor?
I know that experience will help but any advise would be helpful.
Bob
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187251\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Bob:
Remember that you can pre-set a recipe which might include a contrast curve, some sharpening, etc (to your taste) and then save that as a custom default that you can use when shooting tethered.
Also, when importing images from a CF card, any saved custom pre-set can be applied on the fly during the import process.
Steve Hendrix