Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Pelao on April 05, 2008, 10:29:19 am

Title: Workflow advice please
Post by: Pelao on April 05, 2008, 10:29:19 am
Hi

I have been using bridge and PS as the central part of my workflow for a few years now. It works well, but after playing with a trial of LR I feel it offers distinct advantages.

I am having one workflow issue, and I hope someone can offer advice. I suspect I am just missing something simple...

I shoot RAW, then usually convert to DNG. Then I edit according to use. So, what I end up with is a folder for each shoot, with a subset of folders like this:
- Originals (DNG)
- Edited for printing
- Edited for web

This has worked very well for me. One of the downsides is storage space. With LR this is much reduced.

The problem I cannot get my tiny brain around is how to replicate this, in terms of results, in LR.

What I want is 3 versions: my original, one for printing and one for web.

Do I create virtual copies? If I do so, can I rename in some way so I know which is original and which for print?

I would appreciate any assistance or advice.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Title: Workflow advice please
Post by: NikoJorj on April 05, 2008, 04:33:20 pm
Quote
What I want is 3 versions: my original, one for printing and one for web.

Do I create virtual copies?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=187226\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The simpler is to make an export for web, and from then (take a snapshot), tweak your image for print. You could either use a VC, but the printed image will start from that for the web, won't it? A snapshot doesn't mess the catalog as much, I'd say.
If you print outside, make a 2nd export for printing.

Note for the future : I hope we'll have some more powerful printing presets (presets that apply only in the Print module) with, Inch'Allah, the final 2.0 and its softproofing? This will elegantly solve the problem...