Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: lcastric on April 02, 2008, 01:09:43 am

Title: HP Z3100 current status of warm color issues
Post by: lcastric on April 02, 2008, 01:09:43 am
I'd appreciate an update to the earlier threads regarding color issues with the HP Z3100, especially the warm colors. I've had serious problems printing deep reds in landscapes and hope there has been some progress.
Lincoln
Title: HP Z3100 current status of warm color issues
Post by: rdonson on April 02, 2008, 07:00:16 am
Lincoln,

Reds were dramatically improved for me with firmware 5.x and selection of the proper paper type.  I'm currently running firmware 6.x  On some papers reds may not be up to Epson standards but for me they're good enough.

HP Tech Newsletter on red gamut (http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/Red_gamut_issues_on_Z31001.pdf)

HP Tech Newsletter on working with papers and firmware v 6 (http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/Z2100_and_Z3100_Working_with_other_commercially-available_paper_6.0.0.8.pdf)
Title: HP Z3100 current status of warm color issues
Post by: walter.sk on April 02, 2008, 09:13:34 am
Quote
I'd appreciate an update to the earlier threads regarding color issues with the HP Z3100, especially the warm colors. I've had serious problems printing deep reds in landscapes and hope there has been some progress.
Lincoln
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186309\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Been using the Z3100ps since November 1, 2008, with Firmware v6.  I've printed mainly on Epson Premium Luster and have no problem with reds, Berrger Textured Fine Art (matte), and get beautiful results although everything is less vivid than on the luster, and Epson Enhanced Matte, which gives a very pleasant but less contrasty result.  Color reproduction is accurate, including the reds.
Title: HP Z3100 current status of warm color issues
Post by: jpgentry on April 02, 2008, 12:50:03 pm
It's all relative.  You don't know it's missing if you've never seen it in the first place.  Epson is king on matte paper.

Quote
Been using the Z3100ps since November 1, 2008, with Firmware v6.  I've printed mainly on Epson Premium Luster and have no problem with reds, Berrger Textured Fine Art (matte), and get beautiful results although everything is less vivid than on the luster, and Epson Enhanced Matte, which gives a very pleasant but less contrasty result.  Color reproduction is accurate, including the reds.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186383\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: HP Z3100 current status of warm color issues
Post by: kaelaria on April 02, 2008, 01:01:35 pm
Quote
Been using the Z3100ps since November 1, 2008
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186383\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's a pretty good trick!
Title: HP Z3100 current status of warm color issues
Post by: Scott Martin on April 02, 2008, 01:18:54 pm
Looking at prints from all three brands I see dark color saturation issues with the Z series, especially in the reds even with the latest firmware. External profiling with MP helps considerably but your typical "fall colors" photograph really demonstrates HP's limitations in this area - namely that it can't hold detail and saturation in the darkest richest red and green leaves like Canon and Epson can on the same papers with the same profile technology. HP's gamut's tend to be "top heavy" and lacking in the bottom end.
Title: HP Z3100 current status of warm color issues
Post by: lcastric on April 02, 2008, 11:30:25 pm
Thanks for your experience with this issue. Sounds and looks like there's room for improvement. Good thing I didn't sell my 7600 on Ebay.