Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: leftybowler on March 24, 2008, 10:19:12 pm

Title: hp z3100ps APS
Post by: leftybowler on March 24, 2008, 10:19:12 pm
I am a novice and need help. I am looking to buy the hp z3100. What does the ps do? and what does the APS do? Can they both be purchased later?
Title: hp z3100ps APS
Post by: stevenh on March 24, 2008, 10:39:39 pm
Quote
I am a novice and need help. I am looking to buy the hp z3100. What does the ps do? and what does the APS do? Can they both be purchased later?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184028\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


APS can be purchased later. it is a more rigorous profiling option which consists of software which takes further advantage of the on board spectrophotometer. it also includes a monitor spectrophotometer to create profiles for your monitors.


it is an eye-one unit adapted for hp.

if you do a search in this forum for it (APS) you will find a number of opinions as to whether it is worth it or not.  i personally use it and find it worthwhile for my work mostly for the expanded paper profiling. i already had a older monaco sensor for my monitors but i use the aps unit now.


don't know if the PS option can be purchased later. i personally don't have it. but i cannot speak to its value in my line of work.
Title: hp z3100ps APS
Post by: rdonson on March 25, 2008, 06:56:33 am
You can find some information on APS on the Z3100 wiki here. (http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/APS)

You can see the base target and the APS 918 target on the Z3100 wiki here. (http://z3100users.wikispaces.com/Profiling+and+Profiles)

I'm not that familiar with the ps option.  Hopefully others will respond with details about that.
Title: hp z3100ps APS
Post by: neil snape on March 25, 2008, 08:04:06 am
Quote
I am a novice and need help. I am looking to buy the hp z3100. What does the ps do? and what does the APS do? Can they both be purchased later?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184028\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
APS is the software package with a hardware monitor calibrator to take the onboard spectro many steps further. It profiles both rgb and CMYK, on site profiles or externally printed charts for other printers all along using a fully automated chart reading in the Z printer.
The quality of the profiles I found on all but matte media were substantially better than the built in profiles.
You can buy it after the fact, yet often it's cheaper to buy the Z PS option which includes both APS and an embedded Adobe PS rip.

Look on my site for more details in my Z review.