Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: I Simonius on March 20, 2008, 06:42:22 pm

Title: April 2008: best A3+ printer on market
Post by: I Simonius on March 20, 2008, 06:42:22 pm
I'm finally thinking about getting a printer and most of the in depth reviews seem to be about the A2 printers, what are the thoughts on the best currently available or soon to be available best in the A3+ size?

I'm mostly interested in  the B+W capaabilities but do want to be able to get good blues in colur prints (esp. the sky) as well

Thoughts, review links, expereiences much appreciated, thanks
Title: April 2008: best A3+ printer on market
Post by: mfunnell on March 20, 2008, 11:22:05 pm
Quote
I'm finally thinking about getting a printer and most of the in depth reviews seem to be about the A2 printers, what are the thoughts on the best currently available or soon to be available best in the A3+ size?

I'm mostly interested in  the B+W capaabilities but do want to be able to get good blues in colur prints (esp. the sky) as well

Thoughts, review links, expereiences much appreciated, thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183080\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have no idea whether its "the best" or not, but I get very pleasing results from my Canon Pro 9500.

Biggest upside: no need to change between matte and photo black (a convenience and cost issue).

Biggest downside: can't print borderless on matte fine art paper.  (Well, you can force the issue but that's probably not a good idea.)

Other problem: 3rd-party paper suppliers tend to provide profiles only for Epson printers (however, Ilford is exemplary in this regard and should be an example to others).

Bottom line: high quality output.

    ...Mike
Title: April 2008: best A3+ printer on market
Post by: Pete Berry on March 21, 2008, 02:25:08 am
Quote
I'm finally thinking about getting a printer and most of the in depth reviews seem to be about the A2 printers, what are the thoughts on the best currently available or soon to be available best in the A3+ size?

I'm mostly interested in  the B+W capaabilities but do want to be able to get good blues in colur prints (esp. the sky) as well

Thoughts, review links, expereiences much appreciated, thanks
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=183080\")


"Best" is what is best for your specific needs. Here's a link to an interactive review of three A3+ printers that should help you with your choice - Canon Pro 9500, HP B9180, and Epson R2400:

[a href=\"http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/printers/Pigs/page_1.html]http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/printers/Pigs/page_1.html[/url]

Pete
Title: April 2008: best A3+ printer on market
Post by: Josh-H on March 21, 2008, 04:36:57 am
Quote
I have no idea whether its "the best" or not, but I get very pleasing results from my Canon Pro 9500.

Biggest upside: no need to change between matte and photo black (a convenience and cost issue).

Biggest downside: can't print borderless on matte fine art paper.  (Well, you can force the issue but that's probably not a good idea.)

Other problem: 3rd-party paper suppliers tend to provide profiles only for Epson printers (however, Ilford is exemplary in this regard and should be an example to others).

Bottom line: high quality output.

    ...Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183132\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ditto - another vote for the 9500 here. Outstanding prrinter.
Title: April 2008: best A3+ printer on market
Post by: I Simonius on March 21, 2008, 07:47:30 am
Quote
Ditto - another vote for the 9500 here. Outstanding prrinter.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183159\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes of course 'best' is very subjective  

Thank you for your input everyone

I waqs ratheer hoping someone might have soe m'inside' info on whether there was an Epson update in the offing
Title: April 2008: best A3+ printer on market
Post by: duraace on March 25, 2008, 11:37:58 am
Quote
Yes of course 'best' is very subjective  

Thank you for your input everyone

I waqs ratheer hoping someone might have soe m'inside' info on whether there was an Epson update in the offing
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183178\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Epson 3800 is up there with the best and doesn't get delivered on a pallet.
Title: April 2008: best A3+ printer on market
Post by: tomm101 on March 25, 2008, 02:21:14 pm
Quote
I'm finally thinking about getting a printer and most of the in depth reviews seem to be about the A2 printers, what are the thoughts on the best currently available or soon to be available best in the A3+ size?

I'm mostly interested in  the B+W capaabilities but do want to be able to get good blues in colur prints (esp. the sky) as well

Thoughts, review links, expereiences much appreciated, thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183080\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As you said this is a very subjective question, You have the Epson 2400, HP B9180, and the Canon 9500. My answer is none of the above. Other than the B9180 (about $600) the 13 inch printers are just too close in price to the 17 inch printers. Better build, heads, and larger ink reservoirs, just make the 17 inch printers a better deal. Depending on how you look at it being delivered on a pallette can be a good thing.
With both the Epson 3800 and the Canon iPF5100, both do very good b&w, below $1500, it is a good time to buy.