Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: briphoto on March 20, 2008, 01:48:50 pm

Title: Epson Enhanced Matte weirdness
Post by: briphoto on March 20, 2008, 01:48:50 pm
Hello,
I've been trying unsuccessfully to get this paper to print well in my 3800. I'm getting the "mottiling" and "splotchiness" others have seen. I've tried reducing the ink to 90% in the driver and played around with media types to no avail. Is there a workaround for this problem?
Thanks in advance,
Brian
Title: Epson Enhanced Matte weirdness
Post by: Ken Bennett on March 20, 2008, 08:43:42 pm
Assuming you have all the driver settings right, try using Levels in Photoshop, and bump up the output shadow levels from 0 to anywhere between 8 and 15. I found this helped with both blocked up shadows and a general feeling of being over inked.

Not sure it solves your particular issue, but it's easy enough to try.
Title: Epson Enhanced Matte weirdness
Post by: briphoto on March 21, 2008, 10:15:13 am
Quote
Assuming you have all the driver settings right, try using Levels in Photoshop, and bump up the output shadow levels from 0 to anywhere between 8 and 15. I found this helped with both blocked up shadows and a general feeling of being over inked.

Not sure it solves your particular issue, but it's easy enough to try.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183106\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Last night I examined an unprinted sheet. The pattern of splochiness can be seen on the non-printing side and if you hold it up to a light source it becomes more obvious. It almost seems like after the sheet is inked it becomes transluscent and the splochess can now be seen on the printed side. Probably defective paper.
Title: Epson Enhanced Matte weirdness
Post by: dealy663 on March 21, 2008, 11:14:10 am
My solution was to stop using Epson enhanced matte. I tried everything I could think of to get rid of the mottling but was unsuccessful. I now buy Premier Art Matte BW as a substitute. It works fairly well, but dmax was better on enhanced matte.

I have yet to find a perfect replacement for that paper, given looks, feel and cost.

Derek

Quote
Hello,
I've been trying unsuccessfully to get this paper to print well in my 3800. I'm getting the "mottiling" and "splotchiness" others have seen. I've tried reducing the ink to 90% in the driver and played around with media types to no avail. Is there a workaround for this problem?
Thanks in advance,
Brian
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183010\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Epson Enhanced Matte weirdness
Post by: briphoto on March 21, 2008, 11:20:33 am
Quote
My solution was to stop using Epson enhanced matte. I tried everything I could think of to get rid of the mottling but was unsuccessful. I now buy Premier Art Matte BW as a substitute. It works fairly well, but dmax was better on enhanced matte.

I have yet to find a perfect replacement for that paper, given looks, feel and cost.

Derek
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183230\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The RedRiver polar matte seems close. I'll have to do more printing on it to see if it's a suitable replacement.
Title: Epson Enhanced Matte weirdness
Post by: francois on March 21, 2008, 01:07:35 pm
Quote
My solution was to stop using Epson enhanced matte. I tried everything I could think of to get rid of the mottling but was unsuccessful. I now buy Premier Art Matte BW as a substitute. It works fairly well, but dmax was better on enhanced matte.

I have yet to find a perfect replacement for that paper, given looks, feel and cost.

Derek
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183230\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I also stopped using Epson Enhanced Matte on a 3800...
Title: Epson Enhanced Matte weirdness
Post by: titusbear on March 21, 2008, 02:18:05 pm
What lot number(s) are involved?

I've just printed through 150 pages of 17 X 22"  Epson Enhanced Matte on a 4880
(C13S041908 -  Lot: 07HI4001M01) - and had no problems at all.

Good paper that produces a fine image at a reasonable price.

 
titusbear
contemplativeeye.com
Title: Epson Enhanced Matte weirdness
Post by: madmanchan on March 25, 2008, 07:49:51 pm
It could be that the 4880 doesn't have the issue (or exhibits less of it).