Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: grlong on March 17, 2008, 10:16:46 pm

Title: Keyword sync
Post by: grlong on March 17, 2008, 10:16:46 pm
I have LR installed on a desktop and laptop but keep my catalog on an external disc.  I organized all the keywords using a nested "directory" type approach.  When I opened the catalog from my desktop however the organization  was lost.  I presumed that the keyword data was with the catalog but apparently it resides with the program?  Can anyone help me know a way to keep the laptop in sync with the desktop?   Am i missing the obvious?  Thanks for any help you can give.
Title: Keyword sync
Post by: luong on March 18, 2008, 01:44:36 pm
One way to do it would be to export the keywords from one program and import them into the other. It is something I have done to transfer keywords from a different application (Imatch).
Title: Keyword sync
Post by: GuyScharf on March 18, 2008, 03:27:12 pm
Quote
One way to do it would be to export the keywords from one program and import them into the other. It is something I have done to transfer keywords from a different application (Imatch).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182430\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Are you transferring the keyword hierarchy or the keywords attached to images?  I'd very much like to know how to transfer my category settings for photos from Imatch to LR.  Although I've had Imatch for some time, I'm not skilled at running or modifying scripts.

Thanks!
Title: Keyword sync
Post by: David Sutton on March 19, 2008, 02:29:12 am
Quote
I have LR installed on a desktop and laptop but keep my catalog on an external disc.  I organized all the keywords using a nested "directory" type approach.  When I opened the catalog from my desktop however the organization  was lost.  I presumed that the keyword data was with the catalog but apparently it resides with the program?  Can anyone help me know a way to keep the laptop in sync with the desktop?   Am i missing the obvious?  Thanks for any help you can give.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=182286\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Check you have the following files on your external disc:
Lightroom Database Previews.lrdata
Lightroom Settings
Lightroom Database.lrcat

Cheers, David
(while keywords are stored with the catalog, the Settings file contains keyword sets, which may possibly have something to do with your problem)
Title: Keyword sync
Post by: jwlimages on March 20, 2008, 07:05:04 pm
Quote
Check you have the following files on your external disc:
Lightroom Database Previews.lrdata
Lightroom Settings
Lightroom Database.lrcat

Um, which OS would that be? I am on a Mac, and there is no such file as "Lightroom Settings".

There is a folder named "Keyword Sets" within the User directory, but it seems to hold files created when a user saves a keyword set (plus defaults - Outdoor, Portrait & Wedding, of course).

?

John
Title: Keyword sync
Post by: David Sutton on March 20, 2008, 08:46:03 pm
Quote
Um, which OS would that be? I am on a Mac, and there is no such file as "Lightroom Settings".

There is a folder named "Keyword Sets" within the User directory, but it seems to hold files created when a user saves a keyword set (plus defaults - Outdoor, Portrait & Wedding, of course).

?

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183087\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry, I'm on Windows. There should be an obvious solution as you said, but that doesn't mean it will be easy to find
Title: Keyword sync
Post by: francois on March 21, 2008, 01:12:46 pm
Quote
Um, which OS would that be? I am on a Mac, and there is no such file as "Lightroom Settings".
…
On a Mac, the Lightroom Settings file is:  ~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Lightroom.plist

(~ being your user directory)
Title: Keyword sync
Post by: Jani Westman on March 22, 2008, 05:41:56 pm
When in the Library module go to Metadata > Export Keywords...
And you will be able to save your Keyword tags as an textfile.

And on the other computer, in the Library module go to Metadata > Import Keywords...

All your keyword tags and organization will match each other.
I hope that was that obvious you are missing???

// Jani
Title: Keyword sync
Post by: grlong on March 27, 2008, 12:40:08 pm
Quote
When in the Library module go to Metadata > Export Keywords...
And you will be able to save your Keyword tags as an textfile.

And on the other computer, in the Library module go to Metadata > Import Keywords...

All your keyword tags and organization will match each other.
I hope that was that obvious you are missing???

// Jani
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183566\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


***************8

Thanks Jani,   I will give it a try.  I wonder if using a sync program to keep this file coordinated between the two computers would also work?
Title: Keyword sync
Post by: Jani Westman on March 27, 2008, 05:10:41 pm
Quote
***************8

Thanks Jani,   I will give it a try.  I wonder if using a sync program to keep this file coordinated between the two computers would also work?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184702\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, as soon you made some changes of keywording on one of your computers, you manually have to export to a new txt-file to reflect the change. And to update the other computer with the changes, you have to manually import the updated txt-file. Lightroom don't actually use the txt-file except at the moment it import it to its database. The sync program would only help you with the copycommand of the txt-file between the computers. You still have to do the Export and Import manually.
But thats maby was your intent?
Hope this was of some help.

Good luck // Jani