Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: briphoto on March 14, 2008, 02:12:10 pm

Title: epson velvet fine art look-a-like?
Post by: briphoto on March 14, 2008, 02:12:10 pm
Hello,

I'm really liking epson velvet fine art, has anyone found something similar but inexpensive to use as a proof or "workprint"?
Title: epson velvet fine art look-a-like?
Post by: madmanchan on March 14, 2008, 03:27:41 pm
Unfortunately I have not found a similar alternative. The alternatives on a 3800 all produce a significantly lower contrast and/or smaller color range and hence IMO aren't that suitable as work prints since they don't really convey the same tonal and color range as a final print on VFA. My suggestion would be to use smaller pieces of VFA as work prints, to save money, as opposed to using a different paper.
Title: epson velvet fine art look-a-like?
Post by: Kirk Gittings on March 14, 2008, 03:43:53 pm
Can't help you with color, but if anyone is curious about this same issue with B&W.....For b&w, I have successfully used just Epson Enhanced mat for years for proofing VFA. It has a lower dmax, different color base etc. but once you know the differences, I find it easy to look at a EEM print and visualize how it will look on VFA. I use Imageprint and even use the VFA profile on the EM when proofing.
Title: epson velvet fine art look-a-like?
Post by: briphoto on March 14, 2008, 04:16:48 pm
Quote
Can't help you with color, but if anyone is curious about this same issue with B&W.....For b&w, I have successfully used just Epson Enhanced mat for years for proofing VFA. It has a lower dmax, different color base etc. but once you know the differences, I find it easy to look at a EEM print and visualize how it will look on VFA. I use Imageprint and even use the VFA profile on the EM when proofing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=181495\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it.
Title: epson velvet fine art look-a-like?
Post by: briphoto on March 14, 2008, 04:19:18 pm
Quote
Unfortunately I have not found a similar alternative. The alternatives on a 3800 all produce a significantly lower contrast and/or smaller color range and hence IMO aren't that suitable as work prints since they don't really convey the same tonal and color range as a final print on VFA. My suggestion would be to use smaller pieces of VFA as work prints, to save money, as opposed to using a different paper.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=181492\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank You, I've been doing that. Just was hoping someone had "discovered" a paper that was close.