Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: delytphoto on March 10, 2008, 10:21:22 pm

Title: Importing JPEGs
Post by: delytphoto on March 10, 2008, 10:21:22 pm
Hello!  I have a bunch of JPEGs from before I began shooting in RAW, and want to import them to LR.  Is there any advantage to converting them to TIFF before importing?  If so, what do you recommend as the most efficient conversion process?
Thanks!
David
Title: Importing JPEGs
Post by: Josh-H on March 10, 2008, 10:30:20 pm
Quote
Hello!  I have a bunch of JPEGs from before I began shooting in RAW, and want to import them to LR.  Is there any advantage to converting them to TIFF before importing?  If so, what do you recommend as the most efficient conversion process?
Thanks!
David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180512\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Tut tut - I hope you have now found the 'RAW' button    

As far as I am aware there is no advantage to converting the jpegs to Tiff since the 'cake is baked' as it were.

However - LR is non destructive to jpegs - so you can make metadata edits to them in LR without damaging the pixels further.

If you need to export them post LR edits - then I would export according to your needs - i.e. jpeg for web and email and Tiff if headed to CS3 for extensive pixel editing.
Title: Importing JPEGs
Post by: santa on March 17, 2008, 11:32:43 am
Quote
Hello!  I have a bunch of JPEGs from before I began shooting in RAW, and want to import them to LR.  Is there any advantage to converting them to TIFF before importing?  If so, what do you recommend as the most efficient conversion process?
Thanks!
David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180512\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
 
  The first response covered most of it. Be sure to lock the files on your HD so you won't change the originals. You don't want to alter the originals and that is a danger for jpgs if you aren't careful.
Title: Importing JPEGs
Post by: Panopeeper on March 17, 2008, 03:07:10 pm
Quote
Is there any advantage to converting them to TIFF before importing?

If you will process such JPEG images *in several steps*, then it is resonable to do that in TIFF.

Example:

1. before stitching frames to a panorama, one may need to adjust the original frames;

2. the warping process itself;

3. blending teh warped frames;

4. post processing of the stitched pano;

5. at a later point: resizing for some presentation and sharpening

If you do these five steps in JPEG, the quality degradation associated with the JPEG encoding occurs five times.
Title: Importing JPEGs
Post by: delytphoto on April 13, 2008, 06:45:54 pm
Thanks!