Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: shutterworks on March 08, 2008, 06:15:00 pm

Title: Nikon 600mm 2.8 AF help please
Post by: shutterworks on March 08, 2008, 06:15:00 pm
I'm hoping this group will share their thoughts.

Let me set the stage...

I have an opportunity to buy a Nikon 600mm F4 (edit from orig where I said F2.8 - sorry) AF D ED AF in almost mint condition, case, cover, and an internal circular polarizer for about $3,500 US.

In the bag I have a 300mm F4 AF-S ED, a 70-200 F2.8 VR, a 1.4 and 1.7TC and other shorter lenses. I shoot with a D2X.

Okay, why do I 'need' this lens? I love to shoot birds, especially in flight, and other dritters (bears, deer, wolf, etc) and the 300 doesn't quite reach. With the TC almost, but then I drop to F5.6 or less and can't get a quick focus lock. I've rented the 400 2.8 and it works really well for closer stuff, but not always enough reach. ALSO, I plan on moving to the D3 (or D3xyz ) eventually which means I loose the crop factor.

I am also considering the 200-400 but don't think I can come close to the same price, which will keep me from the D3 for quite a while ($).

Do I jump, wait for the 200-400, wait for a chance at a 600 II or other options? I know this lens is a couple versions behind, but is that a reason not to?

Let the suggestions flow... and thanks!
Title: Nikon 600mm 2.8 AF help please
Post by: Eldor on March 08, 2008, 07:01:45 pm
Wow!!!  Is there REALLY such a thing as a 600mm f2.8???  If so, it must be as big as a tank!  I have a Canon 500mm f4L IS lens, and have seen the 600mm f4 and the 400mm f2.8, and I've never heard of a 600mm f2.8 lens.  If Nikon really has such a thing it must be one heck of an incredible lens!

Is it a VR lens?  The Canon lenses I mentioned are all image stabilized (IS) which I believe Nikon calls VR.  I wouldn't use such a lens unless it had stabilization... the Canon versions I'm familiar with have a switch to set that to panning use which is great for birds in flight.  

Again, compared with Canon, that price seems really low, even for used.  Unless maybe it's not a VR lens.

I'll be watching this thread with interest...

Eldor



Quote
I'm hoping this group will share their thoughts.

Let me set the stage...

I have an opportunity to buy a Nikon 600mm 2.8 AF D ED AF in almost mint condition, case, cover, and an internal circular polarizer for about $3,500 US.

In the bag I have a 300mm F4 AF-S ED, a 70-200 F2.8 VR, a 1.4 and 1.7TC and other shorter lenses. I shoot with a D2X.

Okay, why do I 'need' this lens? I love to shoot birds, especially in flight, and other dritters (bears, deer, wolf, etc) and the 300 doesn't quite reach. With the TC almost, but then I drop to F5.6 or less and can't get a quick focus lock. I've rented the 400 2.8 and it works really well for closer stuff, but not always enough reach. ALSO, I plan on moving to the D3 (or D3xyz ) eventually which means I loose the crop factor.

I am also considering the 200-400 but don't think I can come close to the same price, which will keep me from the D3 for quite a while ($).

Do I jump, wait for the 200-400, wait for a chance at a 600 II or other options? I know this lens is a couple versions behind, but is that a reason not to?

Let the suggestions flow... and thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180088\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Nikon 600mm 2.8 AF help please
Post by: vandevanterSH on March 08, 2008, 07:46:23 pm
"Wow!!! Is there REALLY such a thing as a 600mm f2.8???"


I think that would be a "No".  I suspect from the price it is a Nikon Nikkor 600mm f/4D AF-I ED-IF.


Here is a Review.  http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/6004afi.htm (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/6004afi.htm)


Steve
Title: Nikon 600mm 2.8 AF help please
Post by: vandevanterSH on March 08, 2008, 08:00:26 pm
Additional data...KEH has one for ~$4600..if the lens is being offered as a 2.8 for $3500..is the offer real?  Do you know the seller?  BTW the 600 f4 weighs ~ 13 pounds!!!


Steve
Title: Nikon 600mm 2.8 AF help please
Post by: shutterworks on March 08, 2008, 08:19:17 pm
Quote
Additional data...KEH has one for ~$4600..if the lens is being offered as a 2.8 for $3500..is the offer real?  Do you know the seller?  BTW the 600 f4 weighs ~ 13 pounds!!!
Steve
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180110\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oops... yes, it's an F4, my typo and I knew this. Question still stands. It is the same model as KEH has. No VR... the new version not yet on the market will be VR, and will be around $9,500 US. The current version ED-IF II sells for $9,000 US. This is the ED-IF.
Title: Nikon 600mm 2.8 AF help please
Post by: Morgan_Moore on March 09, 2008, 01:08:19 am
UPDATE

My 600F4 is a right -off  no spares available - dead as a doorstop just cause some poxy electonic bit the size of a fingernail is corroded

Nikon carry spares from 7 years from the end of production of a model I have discovered

So a chaep old 600F4 could be a donkey

Find out the age and model and whan that model was discontiued

S
Title: Nikon 600mm 2.8 AF help please
Post by: TMcCulley on March 09, 2008, 01:27:50 am
Quote
I'm hoping this group will share their thoughts.

Do I jump, wait for the 200-400, wait for a chance at a 600 II or other options? I know this lens is a couple versions behind, but is that a reason not to?

Let the suggestions flow... and thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180088\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you know 600 F4 has received a high level of care then the reasons I would wait for the new lens are
1. Lighter (in this lens not much but every bit helps)
2. Closer minimum focus.  This is important to me
3. Full warranty.

$3,500 is a very big savings over the cost of a new one and I do not think that the 200-400 is really a bird lens(but very good for larger wildlife) while the 600 can turn a finch into a condor.  Ok a buzzard, seagull or a large raven.  BTW be sure and budget for the larger tripod (like the Gitzo 5540LS)and Wimberley head.

Tom