Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: spotmeter on March 07, 2008, 09:52:31 pm

Title: Lens Cast on P45?
Post by: spotmeter on March 07, 2008, 09:52:31 pm
I am thinking of getting a P45 or P45+ back for my Mamiya 645 AFDII for landscape work. Those of you who have either one of these backs--what has been your experience with lens cast?  Is it more prevalent with certain lenses?
Title: Lens Cast on P45?
Post by: Jeffreytotaro on March 07, 2008, 10:15:47 pm
Quote
I am thinking of getting a P45 or P45+ back for my Mamiya 645 AFDII for landscape work. Those of you who have either one of these backs--what has been your experience with lens cast?  Is it more prevalent with certain lenses?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179929\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi:

Lens cast happens primarily with wide lenses.  Working with a fixed lens SLR camera you will likely only need one LCC profile for each wide lens.  Unlike a view camera which needs one for each shot if the lens moves.  It's up to you to decide which longer lenses do not need it.

Hope that helps.
Title: Lens Cast on P45?
Post by: Lester on March 07, 2008, 10:37:44 pm
Lens Cast, do you feel lucky? Well this is my experience on that subject. When I got my P25, it has so much lens cast that I could not get it all out with the LLC, no matter how hard I try. Then I trade it in for a P45, using the same camera and lens, which is the Mamiya 645, there is so little lens cast, that I do not paid any attention to it, I just shoot and everything come out rosie. These are the lenses I used on both backs, 35mm, 45mm, 55mm, 80mm, 55-110mm, 120 micro, 200 apo and 300 apo. All those lenses produce lens cast with the P25 and non or very little on the P45. Phase One use the Kodak CCD, I guess you get their Lens Cast with their CCD, remeber the Kodak 14n? That is the first time I ever seen the green/magenta color shift. I hope you are lucky.


Quote
I am thinking of getting a P45 or P45+ back for my Mamiya 645 AFDII for landscape work. Those of you who have either one of these backs--what has been your experience with lens cast?  Is it more prevalent with certain lenses?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179929\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Lens Cast on P45?
Post by: bradleygibson on March 08, 2008, 12:06:40 am
My experiences are the same as Lester's with the P45 and P45+.  If I look for it, I can find it, but I haven't had it apparent enough in any artwork I've shot to compel me to remove it.  My widest lens is a 40mm f/4.

-Brad
Title: Lens Cast on P45?
Post by: John_Black on March 08, 2008, 01:10:54 am
At first I was so anal about it - different LCC profile for each aperture at different distances.  Funny thing - F11 @ infinity seemed to work for just about everything...  Fast forward to today - one LCC file per lens, that's it.  I shoot the LCC profile against a white wall illuminated evenly with two soft boxes.  

If you're working with a dealer and you have choice across of several different backs, I'd test them all and pick the one with the least cast.  LCC is annoying, but manageable in C1.  If you have the option to minimize it from the start (ie - picking a back with less cast), then pick that back.
Title: Lens Cast on P45?
Post by: eleanorbrown on March 08, 2008, 11:12:34 am
I'm had a p25, 45 and now the 45+.  the P25 was the worst.  I really haven't noticed any lens cast with the 45+ until I photographed white sands, NM and winter scenes in colorado this past winter.  here it shows--especially magenta on the left side of the frame.  Is there any possible way to apply a cast correction file to these affected RAW files in Lightroom and not have to process in capture one??  thanks, Eleanor
Title: Lens Cast on P45?
Post by: Jack Varney on March 08, 2008, 03:52:56 pm
No lens cast with the P45 or the P45+ on my Mamiya 645 AFD. The widest lens I use is the 35mm.
Title: Lens Cast on P45?
Post by: Bill Caulfeild-Browne on March 08, 2008, 08:25:35 pm
Quote
No lens cast with the P45 or the P45+ on my Mamiya 645 AFD. The widest lens I use is the 35mm.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180064\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


I use the P45+ with the Mamiya too - with both the 35 mm and new 28 mm lenses. I have never noticed a lens cast.

Bill