Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: jdemott on March 04, 2008, 07:08:35 pm
-
I need to print some invitations/announcements on watercolor paper with an Epson 3800 printer. This is true watercolor paper without a coating--not an inkjet paper like Epson Radiant White Watercolor paper.
The material is primarily text, with a non-photographic graphic design. Color accuracy is not critical (so I don't need a custom profile), but I want it to look decent with sharp, well-defined text and nice bright colors. Obviously, I will need to run some samples, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good starting point on print settings, or can offer any other tips. Thanks.
-
Not a good idea to use watercolor paper, John. A coated paper will minimize dot gain (ink bleeding when it hits the paper) and sharpness will be much improved with a coated paper. You can do it with watercolor paper... but the color will not be anywhere near as good as with a profile used with a coated paper, nor will the sharpness be as good.
Use the media setting that delivers the least ink for your printer. Being unfamiliar with your particular printer, I can't advise which setting to use. Bottom line is not to expect miracles with watercolor paper.
Lawrence
-
Some non coated papers work quite well eg Somerset Book White.
This is probably due to heavy sizing that restricts bleed.
You can coat with InkAid too .
Coating with something like Premier Art Eco Print Shield Matte could help too
Good Luck
Brian
www.pharoseditions.com.au
-
Thanks for the responses so far. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice on the paper--it has to match some other pieces that are part of the same package. So I just have to do the best I can with the printer settings. As you've both noted, ink bleed is the biggest problem.
-
Thanks for the responses so far. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice on the paper--it has to match some other pieces that are part of the same package. So I just have to do the best I can with the printer settings. As you've both noted, ink bleed is the biggest problem.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179312\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Try using a watercolor paper that is internally and externally sized, like Fabriano Artistico. Contrary to popular belief, you can print on standard (non-inkjet) watercolor paper as long as it's properly sized.
-
good luck getting super crisp lines from a non coated paper...
I used an IRIS - IXIA for wedding invitations for one of our hoy-t toy-t artists
(expensive)
and even as crisp and detailed as the IRIS got...
the uncoated paper they chose to use (Arches) was unable to provide crispness and clarity (in my professional opinion)
I did all i could to persuade them otherwise but they has to have that paper in particular... whatever.
my advice..
simplify the image and if using text??
pick a text that isnt gonna get lost when you get the bleed factor.
-
I'm using Arturo paper which is a watercolor paper made by Cartiere Magnani marketed for prints and stationary. I don't know what sizing it has. So far I am getting decent results for text using the Single Weight Matte paper setting on the 3800 which uses the matte black ink. I appreciate all the suggestions.
-
I'm using Arturo paper which is a watercolor paper made by Cartiere Magnani marketed for prints and stationary. I don't know what sizing it has. So far I am getting decent results for text using the Single Weight Matte paper setting on the 3800 which uses the matte black ink. I appreciate all the suggestions.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179458\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Are you printing on hot-press paper ?
-
Based on the texture of the paper, it appears to be a cold press paper.