Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: mminegis on March 02, 2008, 03:50:50 am

Title: Photo Rag Satin: PK or MK?
Post by: mminegis on March 02, 2008, 03:50:50 am
Hello,

I'd like some opinions/feedbacks from users of this paper. I found it in a sample pack and liked it very much -its satin surface is very subtle and gives a gorgeous effect. I now have a box and have been comparing prints on this paper against Photo Rag 308 gsm.
Here are my points:

1) Hahnemuhle has both PK and MK profiles available for this paper - has anyone tried both and which gives better results?

2) So far I have used their MK profile with Epson R2400 (not to swap inks)- is media type Velvet Fine Art correct for this paper, with MK?

3) I think Photo Rag Satin needs a slightly more sharpening than Photo Rag. To my eyes, images on Satin have a softer look - don't know if that is because of PK/MK thing. Due to the surface sheen, I should really use PK with this paper? that would make output sharpening for glossy paper as well...


Mari
Title: Photo Rag Satin: PK or MK?
Post by: howseth on March 02, 2008, 04:32:26 am
I have begun to print on my 24" HP Z3100 just last month. So I am still in the early learning phase - but I am using Hanamuhle Photo Rag Satin. In the 24" size rolls.

On my printer I chose Thick Fine Art >250 for this paper. This setting on the Z3100 uses the MK ink.

I would suggest using the MK inks on your printer with this paper - if one uses the PK inks (on my printer, anyway) the Gloss Enhancer interferes with the special satin highlights, (which are supposed to print with less sheen) - by extra glossing them somewhat. The variable surface sheen is what makes this paper special - but it also what makes printing on the paper more of an adventure just because of that surface sheen variability.

Sharpening is a matter of taste - sharpen till it looks good to you.

I make test strips before I commit to a full print.

Howard
Title: Photo Rag Satin: PK or MK?
Post by: mminegis on March 02, 2008, 03:40:53 pm
Thanks for your feedback.

I really like this paper - after seeing most of my prints on Photo Rag (which is still my favourite) it's refleshing to have a variable surface, particularly great for earthy subjects (sand, water, leaves etc). I'm considering printing my entire portfolio on this paper. I would have a custom profile made for this paper though if I decided to do so (which I did with Photo Rag with excellent results).

Yes, MK is probably right, given that Photo Rag Satin is still a cotton rag paper.
Title: Photo Rag Satin: PK or MK?
Post by: Geoff Wittig on March 03, 2008, 08:59:30 am
Quote
I have begun to print on my 24" HP Z3100 just last month. So I am still in the early learning phase - but I am using Hanamuhle Photo Rag Satin. In the 24" size rolls.

On my printer I chose Thick Fine Art >250 for this paper. This setting on the Z3100 uses the MK ink.

Howard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178600\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not quite correct. When you choose the Thick fine art >250 gm preset on the Z3100, the printer actually employs both matte black and photo black inks, together with two strengths of grey. I suspect that's part of why this paper/printer combination is so magical for black & white images. I've tried printing both with & without gloss enhancer, and much prefer the paper's look without it. The gloss enhancer just seems to flatten out some of those subtle differences in sheen.
Title: Photo Rag Satin: PK or MK?
Post by: howseth on March 03, 2008, 12:49:48 pm
Quote
Not quite correct. When you choose the Thick fine art >250 gm preset on the Z3100, the printer actually employs both matte black and photo black inks, together with two strengths of grey. I suspect that's part of why this paper/printer combination is so magical for black & white images. I've tried printing both with & without gloss enhancer, and much prefer the paper's look without it. The gloss enhancer just seems to flatten out some of those subtle differences in sheen.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178842\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Interesting. I suppose it is, then, the gloss enhancer that interferes with the subtle sheen on the Rag Satin - I also tried the paper at the 'regular' (not the >250) fine art setting but seemed to get subtle lines in the surface.

Is there another general setting which this particular paper can be set to - that works even better than Thick Fine Art>250 - with the Z3100 printer?

Also, is their another paper available that has something like the Hanamuhle Photo Rag Satin subtle sheen effect?
Title: Photo Rag Satin: PK or MK?
Post by: rdonson on March 03, 2008, 01:22:07 pm
I use the same settings that Geoff does.  On color though I've printed a number of images where I liked the look of using the GE.
Title: Photo Rag Satin: PK or MK?
Post by: Geoff Wittig on March 03, 2008, 04:38:53 pm
Quote
Interesting. I suppose it is, then, the gloss enhancer that interferes with the subtle sheen on the Rag Satin - I also tried the paper at the 'regular' (not the >250) fine art setting but seemed to get subtle lines in the surface.

Is there another general setting which this particular paper can be set to - that works even better than Thick Fine Art>250 - with the Z3100 printer?

Also, is their another paper available that has something like the Hanamuhle Photo Rag Satin subtle sheen effect?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178877\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've tried several other presets, but thick fine art >250 consistently gives the best results, at least for my work. You have to choose a media preset that includes a "high" printhead height, or you'll get zebra stripes from head crashes.
I have yet to find any paper remotely like Hahnemuhle photo rag satin; the metallic or crystaline sheen it takes on with HP's inkset is unique. All other papers with 'satin' finishes tend to have a soft gloss surface, such as HP's pro satin or Ilford gallerie satin.
Title: Photo Rag Satin: PK or MK?
Post by: sojournerphoto on March 03, 2008, 06:07:05 pm
Quote
I've tried several other presets, but thick fine art >250 consistently gives the best results, at least for my work. You have to choose a media preset that includes a "high" printhead height, or you'll get zebra stripes from head crashes.
I have yet to find any paper remotely like Hahnemuhle photo rag satin; the metallic or crystaline sheen it takes on with HP's inkset is unique. All other papers with 'satin' finishes tend to have a soft gloss surface, such as HP's pro satin or Ilford gallerie satin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178910\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

MK ink is likely to be best. On my ipf the PK profile I tried was very poor.

Mike
Title: Photo Rag Satin: PK or MK?
Post by: Mark Graf on March 04, 2008, 12:31:58 pm
I have been a fan of this paper for awhile.   I really like the look and feel, though it is expensive.   I use a custom made profile for my Epson 4800 (MK ink) as I found it to be quite a bit better than the stock profile provided by the manufacturer.

Glad to hear others like it also - perhaps that will prevent it from being discontinued anytime soon!
Title: Photo Rag Satin: PK or MK?
Post by: Geoff Wittig on March 04, 2008, 12:45:58 pm
Quote
I have been a fan of this paper for awhile.   I really like the look and feel, though it is expensive.   I use a custom made profile for my Epson 4800 (MK ink) as I found it to be quite a bit better than the stock profile provided by the manufacturer.

Glad to hear others like it also - perhaps that will prevent it from being discontinued anytime soon!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179072\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm just curious- I've only used this paper on the HP Z3100. Black & white prints have a really unique appearance with a subtle metallic surface sheen that varies with tone, at least with HP's vivera inkset. Do you see the same effect with Epson K3 inks?
Title: Photo Rag Satin: PK or MK?
Post by: sojournerphoto on March 04, 2008, 03:39:29 pm
Quote
I'm just curious- I've only used this paper on the HP Z3100. Black & white prints have a really unique appearance with a subtle metallic surface sheen that varies with tone, at least with HP's vivera inkset. Do you see the same effect with Epson K3 inks?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179075\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't know about the epson inks, but it's there with the Canon Lucia pigments.
Title: Photo Rag Satin: PK or MK?
Post by: Mark Graf on March 05, 2008, 12:50:22 pm
Quote
I'm just curious- I've only used this paper on the HP Z3100. Black & white prints have a really unique appearance with a subtle metallic surface sheen that varies with tone, at least with HP's vivera inkset. Do you see the same effect with Epson K3 inks?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179075\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not that I have noticed above and beyond the general sheen of the paper with ink on it - but I wouldn't consider it metallic.