Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: DHead on March 01, 2008, 07:57:33 pm

Title: Color Managment Issue
Post by: DHead on March 01, 2008, 07:57:33 pm
I am stumped.

I have color calibrated my monitor. I bring a picture into either Lightroom or CS3 with a color space of ProPhoto. Picture looks great in either.

I have turned off ICM in my Canon i9900 and told it to let Photoshop or Lightroom to control the colors. I am using the Canon SP1 printer profile.

The resulting prints have a blue cast to them. Same result using Lightroom or Photoshop.

Anyone have an idea what is wrong?

Thx
Title: Color Managment Issue
Post by: Scott Martin on March 02, 2008, 10:30:54 am
What paper are you printing to? And are you using a custom profile?
Title: Color Managment Issue
Post by: DHead on March 02, 2008, 10:52:29 am
Yes, I am using the Canon SP1 profile for their Photo Paper Plus paper



Quote
What paper are you printing to? And are you using a custom profile?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178641\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Color Managment Issue
Post by: Scott Martin on March 02, 2008, 11:01:50 am
You might right having a custom profile made.
Title: Color Managment Issue
Post by: DHead on March 02, 2008, 11:06:23 am
But I have used this profile in the past and it has worked fine.

I guess I may have to go pay some $ and get a printer calibrator  


Quote
You might right having a custom profile made.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178648\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Color Managment Issue
Post by: feppe on March 02, 2008, 11:10:36 am
Are you sure you're not double-profiling? I don't have my Canon driver software handy at the moment, but I think turning ICM off like you said should take care of that. I'd double-check that before profiling.
Title: Color Managment Issue
Post by: lbenac on March 02, 2008, 11:24:16 am
Quote
But I have used this profile in the past and it has worked fine.

I guess I may have to go pay some $ and get a printer calibrator 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178649\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have the same issue with a Canon iP6700D and a magenta hue.
I had a custom profile made and it did not really fully cure it.
The only solution has been to make a level adjustment in CS3 with Red channel at 0.95 and Blue channel at 0.99.
Title: Color Managment Issue
Post by: DHead on March 02, 2008, 12:00:15 pm
Yup, I have double checked that ICM is turned off.

I would hate to have to compensate for this in the software as it means I would have to keep two copies of every file and/or make additional adjustments everytime I print on the i9900.

What gets me is that it used to print fine.

I wonder if I should replace all of the ink carts before trying profiling?
Title: Color Managment Issue
Post by: Jonathan Wienke on March 02, 2008, 12:19:02 pm
Quote
I have the same issue with a Canon iP6700D and a magenta hue.
I had a custom profile made and it did not really fully cure it.
The only solution has been to make a level adjustment in CS3 with Red channel at 0.95 and Blue channel at 0.99.

Your monitor profile is bad then. Properly made monitor and printer profiles will solve this.
Title: Color Managment Issue
Post by: Scott Martin on March 02, 2008, 12:42:16 pm
Quote
What gets me is that it used to print fine. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178655\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Are there any other variables? Are you printing just fine to other printers and or paper combinations? I assume it's the print that has the blue cast, not the display?
Title: Color Managment Issue
Post by: juicy on March 02, 2008, 12:49:40 pm
Hi!

Which rendering intent are you using? MP1-profile for Canon's cheap matte photo paper (MP-101)  makes a fairly bluish/magenta hue when using perceptual (IP5300 printer). On the other hand relative intent does not have this problem.

Cheers,
J
Title: Color Managment Issue
Post by: DHead on March 02, 2008, 01:22:00 pm
Yes, it is the print that has the blue cast, the monitor looks fine.


Quote
Are there any other variables? Are you printing just fine to other printers and or paper combinations? I assume it's the print that has the blue cast, not the display?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178663\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Color Managment Issue
Post by: Wayne Fox on March 02, 2008, 01:26:19 pm
How old is your printer?

A color cast is sometimes the result of a nozzle issue.  Wear on the head/nozzles can also cause some color drift which can be compensated for with a new profile.

Just a thought.
Title: Color Managment Issue
Post by: DHead on March 02, 2008, 01:31:40 pm
I use perceptual but have tried relative and get the same blue cast

I haven't tried other printers yet (don't have one).


Quote
Hi!

Which rendering intent are you using? MP1-profile for Canon's cheap matte photo paper (MP-101)  makes a fairly bluish/magenta hue when using perceptual (IP5300 printer). On the other hand relative intent does not have this problem.

Cheers,
J
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178664\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Color Managment Issue
Post by: DHead on March 02, 2008, 01:33:45 pm
Printer is about 3 years old. I'm thinking I may have to invest in a printer calibrator as you suggest.

Quote
How old is your printer?

A color cast is sometimes the result of a nozzle issue.  Wear on the head/nozzles can also cause some color drift which can be compensated for with a new profile.

Just a thought.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178676\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Color Managment Issue
Post by: DHead on March 02, 2008, 03:22:15 pm
I printed the test print located at http://www.digitaldog.net/tips/index.shtml (http://www.digitaldog.net/tips/index.shtml)  and the printer is absolutely giving me a blue cast. the grays that show true on the monitor are coming up blue when printed.

I guess a printer calibration is in order.
Title: Color Managment Issue
Post by: DHead on March 02, 2008, 04:03:20 pm
SOLVED!!!!

I feel so dumb. I was about to change all of the printer ink cartridges and noticed that the Photo Cyan cartridge had been replaced by my wife with an Office Depot replacement rather than a Canon cartridge. Changed it back to a Canon original and the issue is fixed.

DO NOT USE OFFICE DEPOT CARTS!!!

Thanks to everyone for their help.

D