Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: barbleetondro on February 29, 2008, 08:38:37 pm

Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: barbleetondro on February 29, 2008, 08:38:37 pm
 I stumbled across a great archived webcast that he did last year and watched most of it, but then lost the link, and for some reason it does not show up in my history palette.   Does anyone out there please have the URL for this?  I want to save it to watch again and share with my camera club pals.  It is great!  I believe it was hosted by Adobe, but no amount of Googling returns it to me.  

Thanks in advance to whoever can give me this info!!!
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: Richowens on February 29, 2008, 11:10:42 pm
Do you mean this one? I found it on Andrew's site.

 https://admin.adobe.acrobat.com/_a227210/p84783897/ (https://admin.adobe.acrobat.com/_a227210/p84783897/)

 Rich
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: papa v2.0 on February 29, 2008, 11:31:56 pm
got ten minutes into it  and had to switch off.

great for yanks but not for brits

or as  we  say digital donkey

sorry andrew
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: barbleetondro on March 01, 2008, 12:38:48 am
Quote
Do you mean this one? I found it on Andrew's site.

 https://admin.adobe.acrobat.com/_a227210/p84783897/ (https://admin.adobe.acrobat.com/_a227210/p84783897/)

 Rich
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178366\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, this is it!  Thanks, Rich!  It is a great video in spite of the comment made by the Brit!
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: Farmer on March 01, 2008, 02:35:46 am
Quote
got ten minutes into it  and had to switch off.

great for yanks but not for brits

or as  we  say digital donkey

sorry andrew
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178372\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Perhaps instead of just insulting him, or making a vague comment about cultural differences, you could explain why you didn't like it so he can learn moving forward?

It seemed very well suited for a novice audience and was full of great information presented in a simple format.

It's a shame if you switched off because of some perceived cultural bias regarding the presentation style.

And, no, I'm not a yank.
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: Peter_DL on March 01, 2008, 05:24:33 am
Quote
It's a shame if you switched off because of some perceived cultural bias regarding the presentation style.
Fortunately I’m not a native speaker,
so I’m obviously not in the position to recognize any of such possible subtle cultural differences.

Seems to make life easier,
and communication with people around the globe teaches tolerance anyway.

As far as Technology of Soft-proofing is concerned, I’m more struggling with the “90% correct” claim – at least as soon as “simulate paper color” comes into play.

For my eyes the basic reduction of dyn. range is believable,
but not the change of coloring due to final AbsCol conversion (Proof to Monitor), including the lack of black-point-compensation.

Peter

--
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: Tim Lookingbill on March 01, 2008, 02:17:47 pm
Now I get to associate a face and voice to someone I've been running into on forums for so many years.

I don't get the cultrural difference issue mentioned about his presentation. Looks quite professional and somewhat "GQ"-esque. I pictured him a little more bohemian than I should've. Now Russell Brown is a whole other cultural experience. It can't be easy doing these tutorials. At least it doesn't look like it.

I wonder if these professional presenters have watched Donni Hoyle's "You Suck At Photoshop" video tutorial parodies. It sort of addresses why it's really hard not to come off sounding arrogant discussing such a complex and mysterious app. Even I've been told by past clients I end up sounding like their lawyer when explaining the "in's and out's" of PS and prepress issues.

About using ink black and paper color, I've rarely had to use it viewing prints off Epsons and Noritsu minilabs at my local one hour photo labs under my studio GE 5000K Sunshine Chroma 50 18" T8's. I get the same slightly bluish preview demonstrated in Andrew's webcast demo which doesn't match the slightly reddish yellow cast of the GE's. But it's really splitting hairs because of my eye's constantly color correcting for these subtle color cast differences.
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: Farmer on March 01, 2008, 06:22:21 pm
Quote
I don't get the cultrural difference issue mentioned about his presentation.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178486\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Me either, but our pommy friend above seems to think it's not suitable for a British audience.  I've seen Andrew speak live as well - he's a very good presenter and knows what he's talking about.
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: Schewe on March 01, 2008, 06:26:28 pm
Quote
Me either, but our pommy friend above seems to think it's not suitable for a British audience.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178517\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Obviously, because Andrew doesn't know how to spell the word colour...it must mean the Brit doesn't know what Andrew is talking about.

:~)
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 01, 2008, 08:25:44 pm
Quote
got ten minutes into it  and had to switch off.

great for yanks but not for brits

or as  we  say digital donkey

sorry andrew
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178372\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I had to translate this so I could understand it. I think he meant to say:

"gout ten minutes intou it  and had to switch ouff.

great for yanks but nout for brits

our as  we  say digital dounkey

sourry andrew"

 
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: mistybreeze on March 01, 2008, 09:55:29 pm
Well, in all fairness and not knowing exactly what the Brit meant (I've never been able to understand them folk), the digital sound quality of Andrew's presentation is challenging. To my ears, it sounds like a mediocre cell phone connection. There seem to be an abundance of dropped word endings. If Andrew was British, speaking in a cockney accent, I'm afraid I'd quit listening ten minutes in as well. The tech age may be cool but quality digital sound has a long way to go. That's my 2 cents.
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: jerryrock on March 02, 2008, 01:23:01 pm
While it was nice of Andrew to offer this information, it is tedious to sit through the entire presentation.  If it was organized with a more efficient interface allowing you to click on a specific segment without having to fast-forward blindly, it would be better received.
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: John S C on March 02, 2008, 02:21:08 pm
I'm a Brit
Watched the video
No Problem's with what or how Andrew spoke


Sound quality did sound a bit like the Apollo moon missions though
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: Schewe on March 02, 2008, 03:10:25 pm
Quote
Sound quality did sound a bit like the Apollo moon missions though
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178692\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


That is a function of Adobe Connect...I guess people have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before? Considering that the original event was live (meaning attendees were all watching and listening together) the bandwidth is a typical limitation. Andrew was calling in over a land line phone which was being combined with his keynote preso and running Photoshop at the same time. It's actually pretty impressive technology...but does have limitations (such as sound quality when a speaker calls in rather than having a high quality mic).

But hey, if you don't like it, ask for your money back!

Oh, that's right, it was free...boy, talk about looking the gift horse in the mouth!

:~)
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: mistybreeze on March 02, 2008, 04:32:39 pm
Quote
I guess people have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before?  Andrew was calling in over a land line phone...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178697\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well that may explain the difference in sound quality from my last Adobe Connect meeting. For optimum concentration, I prefer to listen to these sorts of things through headphones. My Sennheisers usually serve me well in these situations. But the dropped word endings could have been caused by movement on Andrew's end. If Andrew's head or his land-line mic moves, Andrew's voice probably did too. Color calibration/proofing is difficult enough to learn when the teacher's voice is crystal clear.

I thought the questions and results at the beginning were very interesting:

Professional photographers connected: 47%
Are you using a hardware instrument to calibrate your monitor: 60% said no
Which Photoshop version do you currently have or use: CS2-37%, CS3-25%
PC Users: 74%
Mac Users: 21%

The numbers suggest what I've been experiencing in the marketplace:
1. Too many pro photographers are printing and profiling by the seat of their pants, if at all.
2. Some have desire but too many are impatient with the technical learning curves and they need to earn income NOW. Let's put calibration/proofing/ICC profiles off until tomorrow.
3. Too many are scared to death to upgrade or, god forbid, can't afford it.
4. Intel/Leopard peripheral support is moving too slowly. Does 21% motivate anybody?
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: Raw shooter on March 02, 2008, 05:43:57 pm
Quote
Well that may explain the difference in sound quality from my last Adobe Connect meeting. For optimum concentration, I prefer to listen to these sorts of things through headphones. My Sennheisers usually serve me well in these situations. But the dropped word endings could have been caused by movement on Andrew's end. If Andrew's head or his land-line mic moves, Andrew's voice probably did too. Color calibration/proofing is difficult enough to learn when the teacher's voice is crystal clear.

I thought the questions and results at the beginning were very interesting:

Professional photographers connected: 47%
Are you using a hardware instrument to calibrate your monitor: 60% said no
Which Photoshop version do you currently have or use: CS2-37%, CS3-25%
PC Users: 74%
Mac Users: 21%

The numbers suggest what I've been experiencing in the marketplace:
1. Too many pro photographers are printing and profiling by the seat of their pants, if at all.
2. Some have desire but too many are impatient with the technical learning curves and they need to earn income NOW. Let's put calibration/proofing/ICC profiles off until tomorrow.
3. Too many are scared to death to upgrade or, god forbid, can't afford it.
4. Intel/Leopard peripheral support is moving too slowly. Does 21% motivate anybody?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178709\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Misty,
You had me till #4.  Color Management should be manditory for pros, but Mac or PC should not matter - at all.  That too, is all too cultural with some photographers.  Even without being aware, we all bring some level of bias to the table.
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: mistybreeze on March 02, 2008, 06:36:19 pm
Quote
Misty,
You had me till #4.  Color Management should be manditory for pros.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178725\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I totally agree. I should have included Vista users, too. Many seem to be experiencing frustrating upgrade hurdles, as well.

I confess, what influenced #4 is Nikon's delay in providing support for its Coolscan 9000 for MacPro upgraders. Forget about Leopard, they're not even ready for Intel. Photographers trying to fulfill workflow requirements involving film archives are stuck with non-working software on their new MacPro. You better keep an older computer around or else you're stuck with VueScan.

I hear Palm users are having a hell of a time with iSync in Leopard.

These things matter to business folk trying to keep work moving and budgets under control. The machines are one issue (check the graphic card fiasco in Apple Discussions), software support is another.

Everybody wants your money but where's the beef?
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: Jack Flesher on March 02, 2008, 07:24:34 pm
Quote
But hey, if you don't like it, ask for your money back!

Oh, that's right, it was free...

PRECISELY!  

Obviously PAPA2.0 is a troll or has some other hidden agenda with Andrew...

,
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: tived on March 02, 2008, 09:02:29 pm
is this the tomatoes or tomatoes?  

congratulation Andrew you just got some 700 people's attention...there is no such thing as bad advertising!  

I would just like to add, that it wasn't very good that you didn't have it translated into Danish - but I can settle with that you do it in Aussie English - then we can all have a real giggle, mate!

otherwise excellent - not really sure what the fuss was all about, but I guess as a non-english/american/australian/Indian english (now that would be fun, if done by Peter Sellers)/..etc.... you get used to various versions of the english language.

perhaps we should just speak with images in the future, in multi-colours and shades of grey

Henrik

PS: and speaking of value for money....this one doesn't get any better!
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: barbleetondro on March 02, 2008, 09:49:19 pm
I'm sure glad that I am the one that started this post!  Because...I think that Andrew's webcast is wonderful, and it in the public domain!  Please, folks, as was said earlier, don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

I learned a lot from this webcast!

Barbara
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: Kumar on March 03, 2008, 12:52:42 am
As an Indian living in Japan and speaking English with Japanese, Indians, Americans and of course, the British, I had no problem understanding Andrew.

Now, is there a way to save the webcast onto my computer? Sometimes I'm not connected to the internet, and I'd like to have it available offline as well.

Cheers,
Kumar
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: hassiman on March 03, 2008, 01:03:14 pm
Can Nikon Scan 4.0.2 ( ERGO SilverFast ASI Studio) run on an Intel MacPro running Tiger?  

From what Nikon reps told me the manufacture of the CoolScan 9000 has ceased.     All suppliers are now back ordered.  Yo may notice that pics of the 9000 on Nikon's new website show the 9000 sans the ICE logo on the bottom right.



quote=mistybreeze,Mar 2 2008, 07:36 PM]
I totally agree. I should have included Vista users, too. Many seem to be experiencing frustrating upgrade hurdles, as well.

I confess, what influenced #4 is Nikon's delay in providing support for its Coolscan 9000 for MacPro upgraders. Forget about Leopard, they're not even ready for Intel. Photographers trying to fulfill workflow requirements involving film archives are stuck with non-working software on their new MacPro. You better keep an older computer around or else you're stuck with VueScan.

I hear Palm users are having a hell of a time with iSync in Leopard.

These things matter to business folk trying to keep work moving and budgets under control. The machines are one issue (check the graphic card fiasco in Apple Discussions), software support is another.

Everybody wants your money but where's the beef?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178735\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: jjj on March 03, 2008, 07:44:03 pm
I was curious as to why it would be 'too American' for us Brits, but sadly I got no sound at all. ?!? Sounds works fine on laptop otherwise.
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: papa v2.0 on March 04, 2008, 09:07:31 pm
oh my god what have i started

an anti brit yank thing?

no i dont think so

were just old pre press guys who just like to take the

any hoo  glad to see a response other than the serious side

the boys in scotland who listen to the digital dog are i would say a a bit more course about his accent than i have ever been
but you know us scots we take the pi%% out of ourselves first and the rip the pi%% out of everyone else

so if your offended think how we feel!
Title: Digital Dog's Webcast on Soft Proofing
Post by: Raw shooter on March 04, 2008, 09:48:32 pm
Quote
or as  we  say digital donkey
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178372\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You still need to explain this term to us yanks