Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Recked on February 26, 2008, 06:58:24 am
-
Hello,
I was just looking over the Moab site and noticed they have a new paper listed that does not contain OBA's etc. The paper is called Somerset Photo Satin.
Just wondering if any Z3100 users have tried this paper and, if so, what settings you used to print with.
Thank you
-
The new Somerset Photo Satin is a 300gsm cotton paper with a totally new coating. The paper is also smoother than their Somerset Velvet paper.
-
Hello,
Safe to assume you have printed on it? If yes, what are your thoughts re: blacks and color gamut?
thank you
The new Somerset Photo Satin is a 300gsm cotton paper with a totally new coating. The paper is also smoother than their Somerset Velvet paper.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177493\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
-
Hello,
Safe to assume you have printed on it? If yes, what are your thoughts re: blacks and color gamut?
thank you
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177504\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have, actually. I am creating all of their profiles for them for the paper. It is a wonderful paper, and has a much better coating than what the Somerset Velvet has. Great, rich colors and deep blacks. I haven't done any specific tests yet on dmax, though. Sample prints are looking quite good.
-
Thanks for the information Andy. I think I will test out a roll for my Z though I will likely go for a custom profile as they seem a bit better then the onboard spectro
thanks again
-
Nice work as well Andy as I just checked out your site. I particularly like the B&W!
-
Nice work as well Andy as I just checked out your site. I particularly like the B&W!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
thanks for your kind words!
-
Quite welcome.
Don't suppose you create custom profiles for those Z owners who don't use the onboard spectro all the time?
thanks for your kind words!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177509\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
-
That is a tough one, since we don't have one in our offices (my home studio). I would need to spend a significant amount of time to determine if I can even create better profiles than what the printer can already create.
In your experience, are the profiles that the printer creates inferior to what can be created outside of the printer?
-
Not a problem just asking.
I am not an expert by any stretch, but I have used the spectro for three papers adn then gotten customs made and the customs so better/more accurate colors in my feeble brain....perhaps somebody with more experience could share their thoughts as I might be out in left field again chomping on grass!~
)
-
would help if I could type!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-
The new Somerset Photo Satin is a 300gsm cotton paper with a totally new coating. The paper is also smoother than their Somerset Velvet paper.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177493\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Is this a PK ink or MK ink paper?
-
Keith, it is a cotton fine art paper, for use with MK ink.
-
Keith, it is a cotton fine art paper, for use with MK ink.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177584\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the info. Got confused since "satin" has ususally been used when describing a photo realistic "RC" paper using PK ink and "cotton rag" using MK ink.
-
I totally agree.
-
Thanks for the info. Got confused since "satin" has ususally been used when describing a photo realistic "RC" paper using PK ink and "cotton rag" using MK ink.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177693\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've always wondered when we equated RC with photo realistic. That seems contradictory to me but I used fiber paper long before RC.
I've always thought of RC as being associated with a desire to reduce chemical costs and drying time rather than quality.
Perhaps its because all color has been only done on RC?
Just curious...
-
Hey Andy ...
How does it compare with Epson's UltraSmooth Fine Art (surface, color, etc)? Also, how sensative (delicate) is the surface?
Thanks!
jvdk
-
I am a bit confused as to why MK black ink set is supposed to be used?
-
I am a bit confused as to why MK black ink set is supposed to be used?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178017\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It is a fine art cotton rag paper. The naming is completely silly, but the name was forced from the mill in England.
-
Hey Andy ...
How does it compare with Epson's UltraSmooth Fine Art (surface, color, etc)? Also, how sensative (delicate) is the surface?
Thanks!
jvdk
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178014\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Good question. I haven't used USFA in quite a while, but I would characterize Somerset Photo Satin as being less 'white', more similar to Somerset Velvet in texture, but somewhere in between USFA and Velvet.
-
This is a really nice paper. I recently gave a fine art presentation with various cotton rag and fibre based papers and the somerset photo satin was the one people liked the most. you use mk ink for it and at the moment there is not a ICC profile for it. I tried the hahnemuhle photo rag satin one which worked very very well. why its called satin I have no idea since there is no satin sheen like you get with the hahnemuhle paper lol its much smoother than the enhanced paper too.