Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: expat98 on February 16, 2008, 03:23:49 am

Title: Biggest Photography Store in Europe?
Post by: expat98 on February 16, 2008, 03:23:49 am
I was thinking of making a trip to NYC in order to browse through the studio lighting equipment at the B&H Photo store.  But I would rather spend the time in Europe instead.  Does anyone know of a store anywhere in Europe with a large selection of studio lighting gear?  In particular, I am interested in looking at Hensel gear.  What would be the best store for that?

thanks
Title: Biggest Photography Store in Europe?
Post by: DavidRees on February 16, 2008, 04:01:04 am
Quote
I was thinking of making a trip to NYC in order to browse through the studio lighting equipment at the B&H Photo store.  But I would rather spend the time in Europe instead.  Does anyone know of a store anywhere in Europe with a large selection of studio lighting gear?

thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175208\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Robert White, in Dorset, has some, as I recall, though since I've never bought any, I can't tell you how extensive it is. Give them a call (www.robertwhite.co.uk) before visiting.

You could also speak to Teamwork, in London (www.teamworkphoto.com).
Title: Biggest Photography Store in Europe?
Post by: SecondFocus on February 16, 2008, 10:37:48 am
Instead of just visiting stores you might want to actually visit the manufacturers. For instance actually go to Hensel. I am sure they and others would welcome you.
Title: Biggest Photography Store in Europe?
Post by: expat98 on February 17, 2008, 01:11:49 pm
Quote
Instead of just visiting stores you might want to actually visit the manufacturers. For instance actually go to Hensel. I am sure they and others would welcome you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175263\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe that is what I will have to do, as Europe does not seem to have any type of photography "superstore" akin to B&H Photo in the U.S., at least as far as I can tell.
Title: Biggest Photography Store in Europe?
Post by: jjj on February 17, 2008, 05:03:51 pm
Some years back when Jessops was a serious camera shop as opposed to a cheesy chain, their single shop in Leicester UK [pronounced Lester BTW],was the place to go to see all the kit. Not sure if they still have that store or if it stocks the same wide range of kit.
Title: Biggest Photography Store in Europe?
Post by: ecemfjm on February 18, 2008, 02:50:41 am
Quote
I was thinking of making a trip to NYC in order to browse through the studio lighting equipment at the B&H Photo store.  But I would rather spend the time in Europe instead.  Does anyone know of a store anywhere in Europe with a large selection of studio lighting gear?  In particular, I am interested in looking at Hensel gear.  What would be the best store for that?

thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175208\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In Madrid you can try Fotocasion (http://www.fotocasion.es/). In spite of its name, most of the equipment they sell is brand new. It is in the area of El Rastro, a tipical flea market in the heart of the city.

The advantage of Madrid is that if you cannot find what you were looking for, you can always enjoy the nighlife.

Manuel
Title: Biggest Photography Store in Europe?
Post by: neil snape on February 21, 2008, 02:56:38 am
There are some stores that carry a lot of lighting, but I really think the best way to see light stuff, is go to a big fashion studio that has most everything. For example on any given day at LEStudio the have their own Broncolor, Prophoto, and Balcar, lots of hot lights, Kino etc,and photographers come in with just about everything else that exists. I went to B&H and although it's nice to see some of the stuff that I don't have it doesn't look like there is much to learn from what they had on display.
Title: Biggest Photography Store in Europe?
Post by: Slough on February 21, 2008, 05:11:19 am
'Yurp' is a big place. Any country in particular? There is also some water between the UK and the rest, making travelling inconvenient
Title: Biggest Photography Store in Europe?
Post by: AWeil on February 22, 2008, 05:24:15 pm
If you can make fast decisions, go to the trade show 'Focus on Imaging 2008' in Birmingham / Great Britain, Feb 24 - Feb 27, 2008 or wait and go to the Photokina in Germany in September, that will be quite a big store to browse.
http://www.hensel-studiotechnik.de/english/index.html (http://www.hensel-studiotechnik.de/english/index.html)

Calumet (from Chicago) is in Hamburg, Berlin and Munich, but they don't seem to carry Hensel.

Angela