Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Mark F on February 13, 2008, 04:22:52 pm

Title: Print Lab for large prints
Post by: Mark F on February 13, 2008, 04:22:52 pm
As part of my upcoming switch to digital I am researching printers. I only print larger than 16 x 20 a few times a year and would like to avoid buying a wider (more expensive) carriage printer.  Is it customary for the lab to use a paper that I specify as part of their normal procedure? Is there an extra charge?

Can anyone recommend a good lab? I'm located in the NYC area but with Fed Ex that's not really important.
Thanks.

Mark
Title: Print Lab for large prints
Post by: matt4626 on February 13, 2008, 04:28:51 pm
I've had great results with West Coast Imaging.
Title: Print Lab for large prints
Post by: seangirard on February 13, 2008, 04:28:55 pm
I would think most shops will tend toward papers they have tested, profiled, and stocked. That's not to say they won't be willing to work with you, but be prepared to pay extra - someone has to cover R&D, the part of the roll you don't want, etc.

-sean
Title: Print Lab for large prints
Post by: John MacLean on February 15, 2008, 07:44:48 pm
Mark,

I'm personal friends with the owner of Weldon Color Lab (http://www.weldoncolorlab.com). They can print inkjet or LightJet prints and they do spectacular mounting.
Title: Print Lab for large prints
Post by: Mark F on February 15, 2008, 09:48:06 pm
Thanks for the info guys. Helpful.
Title: Print Lab for large prints
Post by: Geoff Wittig on February 16, 2008, 06:14:49 pm
Quote
As part of my upcoming switch to digital I am researching printers. I only print larger than 16 x 20 a few times a year and would like to avoid buying a wider (more expensive) carriage printer.  Is it customary for the lab to use a paper that I specify as part of their normal procedure? Is there an extra charge?

Can anyone recommend a good lab? I'm located in the NYC area but with Fed Ex that's not really important.
Thanks.

Mark
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=174649\")

You might consider Amadou Diallo, who regularly posts on this forum and runs a Printing studio in Brooklyn. He uses a range of printers and provides a wide range of paper choices.
His website is:
 [a href=\"http://www.diallophotography.com/]http://www.diallophotography.com/[/url]
Title: Print Lab for large prints
Post by: Mark F on February 16, 2008, 09:54:28 pm
Quote
You might consider Amadou Diallo, who regularly posts on this forum and runs a Printing studio in Brooklyn. He uses a range of printers and provides a wide range of paper choices.
His website is:
 http://www.diallophotography.com/ (http://www.diallophotography.com/)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175340\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Thanks.