Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: kaelaria on February 09, 2008, 08:03:55 pm

Title: How to remove spindle from roll?
Post by: kaelaria on February 09, 2008, 08:03:55 pm
OK, I'm afraid of hurting this roll.  I got the 2" HP gloss roll off with a bit of difficulty - but this 3" roll of Ilford, well, it's on there.

What's the trick (Z3100)??
Title: How to remove spindle from roll?
Post by: Geoff Wittig on February 09, 2008, 09:03:26 pm
Quote
OK, I'm afraid of hurting this roll.  I got the 2" HP gloss roll off with a bit of difficulty - but this 3" roll of Ilford, well, it's on there.

What's the trick (Z3100)??
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173617\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can search the topic; it's come up several times before. I just put the fixed end between my feet and yank the removable end off with my hands. Works fine for me, but then I'm 6'2" and 240 lbs.

Several folks have mentioned removing two of the four tension springs that keep the end tight against the inside of the roll.
Title: How to remove spindle from roll?
Post by: kaelaria on February 09, 2008, 09:14:33 pm
I'm 6'2" and 270 - that's what I tried last...I guess I'll just try harder and be really careful.  I predict a few extra spindles in my purchase future.
Title: How to remove spindle from roll?
Post by: Craig Murphy on February 11, 2008, 08:54:38 am
Thats funny.  You don't look like you weight 270.
Title: How to remove spindle from roll?
Post by: kaelaria on February 11, 2008, 09:09:52 am
I know, I look 300!  LOL
Title: How to remove spindle from roll?
Post by: William Morse on February 11, 2008, 02:10:06 pm
There's a better way! (IMHO)

Take a mat knife and cut away a little of the pointy edges (scientific term) that actually come into contact with the inside of the role. Not too much, and keep them even. Will reduce the diameter of the adapter, and also, by flattening out the edges, will reduce the amount the adapter goes into the role, thus also reduce the tension. Worked for me!

Bill

Quote
Several folks have mentioned removing two of the four tension springs that keep the end tight against the inside of the roll.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173627\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: How to remove spindle from roll?
Post by: printmaker on March 06, 2008, 01:44:38 am
Quote
Several folks have mentioned removing two of the four tension springs that keep the end tight against the inside of the roll.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173627\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thats exactly what I have done...