Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Moynihan on February 08, 2008, 09:51:19 am

Title: Question about lenses
Post by: Moynihan on February 08, 2008, 09:51:19 am
I am hoping to get some information to supplement the reviews I have read.
I am wondering about the comparative IQ, where their zoom ranges are similar, of the following 3 lenses. IQ interest only.

Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED DX
Nikkor 18-200mm IF VRII DX

Cannon 17-40mm f/4 L

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Regards,

Jay
Title: Question about lenses
Post by: Lisa Nikodym on February 08, 2008, 11:24:37 am
I can't answer about the Canon lens, but I have both Nikkor lenses you list.  Image quality (in the range where they overlap) is quite similar.  I compared some images with each once, and couldn't tell much of a difference one way or the other.

If you want a second opinion, here's a web site with excellent reviews of various Nikkor lenses (go to the "Lenses" link):
http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html (http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html)

Lisa