Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: wsolum on February 05, 2008, 12:48:55 pm

Title: Painter files in LR
Post by: wsolum on February 05, 2008, 12:48:55 pm
In the past when I work in Painter I've always saved it as a .rif file unless I intended to open it in Photoshop.  I did this because .rif is supposed to be the native file format for Painter and preserves all the editing capabilities, etc.

I now want my painter files managed by LR so which format comes closest to preserving all the layers and features of painter but is indexable and viewable in LR?

Wayne
Title: Painter files in LR
Post by: Schewe on February 05, 2008, 02:35:58 pm
Quote
I now want my painter files managed by LR so which format comes closest to preserving all the layers and features of painter but is indexable and viewable in LR?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172492\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

TIFF, PSD or JPEG are your only choices...and it would be a cold day in hell that Lightroom would read an RIF file...
Title: Painter files in LR
Post by: wsolum on February 05, 2008, 07:44:35 pm
Quote
TIFF, PSD or JPEG are your only choices...and it would be a cold day in hell that Lightroom would read an RIF file...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172514\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Too bad.  I remember an Adobe rep at Imaging USA 2007 saying that Adobe left out some brush feature at the request of Corel which made me think they were on cooperative terms.  I guess that was a polite way of saying they were threatened.
Title: Painter files in LR
Post by: Craig Murphy on February 09, 2008, 10:47:55 am
I attended a week long seminar with Fay Sirkis (Painter Master etc, etc)  She does not save anything as RIF file.  Not necessary.
Title: Painter files in LR
Post by: wsolum on February 09, 2008, 08:18:00 pm
Then which does she prefer?  Doe Tif and PSD preserve all the layers (watercolor and liquid ink as well)?

Quote
I attended a week long seminar with Fay Sirkis (Painter Master etc, etc)  She does not save anything as RIF file.  Not necessary.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173519\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]