Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: idenford on February 03, 2008, 08:22:27 pm

Title: Canon G9 - love it, thanks Michael R.
Post by: idenford on February 03, 2008, 08:22:27 pm
I want to thank Michael for posting that wonderful review about the point and shoot Canon G9. I had an sd800 and wanted something better to carry around to events and everyday use. I am able to shoot in manual mode and adjust shutter speed, and ISO, wb etc. Got some great pictures with it and will use it when I am not shooting in the studio or at events where I need the slr.
If you are interested you can see my first round of shots (most on auto) at The Royal York last Thursday where I attended The Booklovers Ball with my wife who was one of the guests. Check out self portrait.
Link to a Lightroom gallery that I put up
http://www.maureenjennings.com/bookloversball/ (http://www.maureenjennings.com/bookloversball/)
Title: Canon G9 - love it, thanks Michael R.
Post by: idenford on February 05, 2008, 02:29:31 pm
I spent the last two days reading the manual and am now shooting comfortably in manual mode. I switched over to RAW this morning so it should be interesting to see how those files look once imported into lightroom.
Some shots from manual mode are here - http://www.idenford.blogspot.com (http://www.idenford.blogspot.com)
Title: Canon G9 - love it, thanks Michael R.
Post by: idenford on February 06, 2008, 02:53:29 pm
One thing I did notice for the shot I took of Beth Bruder holding up the copy of my wife's book on the blog link I mentioned in the previous post, was that I had the iso at 400, and shot the photo just using the window light and ambient tungsten in the room. It was quite noisy at iso 400. This was a raw file. I presume the noise issue is because of sensor size? I hardly get any noise on my 40D at iso 800.
Title: Canon G9 - love it, thanks Michael R.
Post by: Gordon Buck on February 06, 2008, 04:07:52 pm
Quote
One thing I did notice for the shot I took of Beth Bruder holding up the copy of my wife's book on the blog link I mentioned in the previous post, was that I had the iso at 400, and shot the photo just using the window light and ambient tungsten in the room. It was quite noisy at iso 400. This was a raw file. I presume the noise issue is because of sensor size? I hardly get any noise on my 40D at iso 800.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=172778\")

Check this discussion thread for info and approaches to G9 noise reduction:

[a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20662]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=20662[/url]
Title: Canon G9 - love it, thanks Michael R.
Post by: idenford on February 06, 2008, 07:54:21 pm
thanks for this