Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Josh-H on January 29, 2008, 11:01:23 pm

Title: Hahnemuhle FA Bartya on Canon - which media type?
Post by: Josh-H on January 29, 2008, 11:01:23 pm
Ive just bought a couple of boxes of the Hahnemuhle FA Bartya to try as I have decided the Harman is just a tad too glossy for me.

What media settings are people using with this paper?
Semi-Gloss or Glossy?

Ta.
Title: Hahnemuhle FA Bartya on Canon - which media type?
Post by: Josh-H on January 29, 2008, 11:11:59 pm
Quote
Ive just bought a couple of boxes of the Hahnemuhle FA Bartya to try as I have decided the Harman is just a tad too glossy for me.

What media settings are people using with this paper?
Semi-Gloss or Glossy?

Ta.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170822\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Never mind - found it on Hahnemuhle's website as Semi-Gloss with a canned profile.

Any tried the canned profile?

Ta.
Title: Hahnemuhle FA Bartya on Canon - which media type?
Post by: marcmccalmont on January 30, 2008, 01:19:29 am
I had good luck on special 2 and a custom profile (iPF5000)
Marc
Title: Hahnemuhle FA Bartya on Canon - which media type?
Post by: thompsonkirk on January 30, 2008, 01:37:54 am
You might find this surface unattractive, because it's rather pebbled.  It doesn't look much like an air-dried F-type gelatin silver paper.  

If you don't like it for this reason, try  Epson Exhibition Fiber, which prints very well with Canon inks.  In surface texture it falls between Harman's gloss & Hahnemuehle's pebbliness.  

Another suggestion for Canon printing:  Don't bother with the Ilford GFS that Michael liked because of its warmer paper base.  With Canon inks the gloss differential is considerable.  (Maybe he used an HP printer & gloss optimizer?)

Kirk
Title: Hahnemuhle FA Bartya on Canon - which media type?
Post by: Josh-H on January 30, 2008, 04:37:48 am
Quote
You might find this surface unattractive, because it's rather pebbled.  It doesn't look much like an air-dried F-type gelatin silver paper. 

If you don't like it for this reason, try  Epson Exhibition Fiber, which prints very well with Canon inks.  In surface texture it falls between Harman's gloss & Hahnemuehle's pebbliness. 

Another suggestion for Canon printing:  Don't bother with the Ilford GFS that Michael liked because of its warmer paper base.  With Canon inks the gloss differential is considerable.  (Maybe he used an HP printer & gloss optimizer?)

Kirk
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170862\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks - I actually chose this paper over the Epson and Ilford as I really like its 'tooth'.

I have seen a few samples of the ilford and personally I found it a looked a little to warm for my tastes. I would rather print to a more neutral paper and make my adjustments for warmth/coolness in the image. Each to his own though.

I have been  abig fan of Hahnemuhle Museum Etching for its wonderful stippled or tooth - I just like it.
Title: Hahnemuhle FA Bartya on Canon - which media type?
Post by: picnic on January 30, 2008, 06:35:53 am
Quote
You might find this surface unattractive, because it's rather pebbled.  It doesn't lo
Another suggestion for Canon printing:  Don't bother with the Ilford GFS that Michael liked because of its warmer paper base.  With Canon inks the gloss differential is considerable.  (Maybe he used an HP printer & gloss optimizer?)

Kirk
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170862\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In his review of the baryta papers, Michael states that "prints were primarily made with an Epson 3800" with some printed on a 7800 and HPZ3100.

Diane
Title: Hahnemuhle FA Bartya on Canon - which media type?
Post by: sojournerphoto on January 30, 2008, 07:45:28 am
Quote
You might find this surface unattractive, because it's rather pebbled.  It doesn't look much like an air-dried F-type gelatin silver paper. 

If you don't like it for this reason, try  Epson Exhibition Fiber, which prints very well with Canon inks.  In surface texture it falls between Harman's gloss & Hahnemuehle's pebbliness. 

Another suggestion for Canon printing:  Don't bother with the Ilford GFS that Michael liked because of its warmer paper base.  With Canon inks the gloss differential is considerable.  (Maybe he used an HP printer & gloss optimizer?)

Kirk
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170862\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


I'm using the ilford in my IPF5000 and, despite the gloss differential, am very pleased. I found the Harman a bit too cool for my tasteand haven't yet tried the Hahne paper.

Josh, I also like the white etching by hahne.

Mike