Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Robert Spoecker on January 29, 2008, 12:02:23 am
-
Lately I have been printing a lot of 4 x 5 pictures on 8.5 by 11 paper.
I need to cut the white borders off and cut between the four images that are butted up.
If that cut is not completely accurate then the print that displays a thin sliver of the adjacent print looks bad.
I am using an old cheap paper cutter that is hard to align with the precision required.
I was thinking of a wheeled cutter where the cutting wheel can be lifted, pushed over the paper and thus aligned perfectly but I suspect they do not make one as an expose cutting wheel is dangerous and one cannot have that for the same reason aspirin bottles must have child proof caps.
Can anyone recommend a paper cutter that is fast and accurate to align?
Thanks,
Robert
-
Depends on how much you want to spend... for $200, you can get this one:
http://www.usi-laminate.com/store/wpbec_vi...p?idProduct=308 (http://www.usi-laminate.com/store/wpbec_viewItem.asp?idProduct=308)
Roller trimmers are more accurate than shear cutters.
Mike.
-
Roller trimmers are more accurate than shear cutters.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170499\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
RotaTrim is perhaps the default standard. Try B&H Photo and others for features and pricing.
Jim
-
Another vote for Rotatrim. I tried two cheaper paper cutters (one rotary and one shear) and they both were crap. Rotatrim isn't cheap, but it's much better quality and more accurate than most of what's out there.
Lisa
-
you will never cut down a but fit
do what everyone else does an add a 1mm bleed all round by slightly oversizing the pic
then double cut the gutters etc
its what we do in the print trade
-
Robert:
If you want a 'low tech' solution (depending on how much trimming you have to do), you can always use one of these:
http://www.fiskars.com/CA/en/Crafts/Product+Detailf0ca.html (http://www.fiskars.com/CA/en/Crafts/Product+Detailf0ca.html)
with a self-healing cutting mat. You also need a carpenter's square or the like for a straight edge (put a strip of masking tape or something under the metal so it doesn't scratch the print, and keep the square on the 'cutoff side). I have the trimmer above for leather work, but I've also cut out small prints from time to time.
Mike.
-
Hi Everyone
I took the advice of wolfnowl.
The people he recommended were good to deal with and I just got the cutter now.
It works great and fulfilled my expectations.
Thanks for all the great responses to my question.
Robert