Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: One Frame at a Time on January 27, 2008, 09:53:12 pm

Title: Canon 24-105, Need some help
Post by: One Frame at a Time on January 27, 2008, 09:53:12 pm
Hi,

I just got my 2nd copy of the 24-105 lens.  I need to replace my 28-135 because the IS makes some funny noise in the cold.  I dropped it and my old camera last year.  

The new copy is only better than the old lens when stopped down to f8.  Even then, it is only marginally better.  Wide open, I think the 28-135 is a bit sharper.  The images look remarkably similar when not at 100%.  Not what I have been expecting.  Should I try for copy # 3 or is this what I can expect from this lens.  Maybe it cheif attribute is the 24mm wide angle??   Others have raved about it.  I have not been too impressed.  Especially at 2.5x the price of the old lens.   Would appreciate some (more) feed back from others that have this lens.

Not sure if it matters but I am currently shooting with the 400XTi.  Maybe this camera is made to mate with the low cost lenses??  (I like to shave weight in my pack)

Constructive comments much appreciated!

Paul
Title: Canon 24-105, Need some help
Post by: Jonathan Wienke on January 27, 2008, 10:11:34 pm
Post a sample image, or we have no way of knowing if the issue is a bad lens, user error, or unrealistic expectations.
Title: Canon 24-105, Need some help
Post by: DarkPenguin on January 27, 2008, 10:36:53 pm
Quote
Not sure if it matters but I am currently shooting with the 400XTi.  Maybe this camera is made to mate with the low cost lenses??  (I like to shave weight in my pack)

It will work fine with the XTi.  (Ignoring that it is an odd focal length range for a crop camera.)
Title: Canon 24-105, Need some help
Post by: One Frame at a Time on January 28, 2008, 01:27:35 am
OK here goes:

Never did this before so not sure how it will turn out.  The files are 4MB Jpegs.  I shot jpeg (Large Fine) for ease of viewing and do not want to crop and re-jpeg.

Edit:

Seems the files are too big.  Not sure how to post 100% crops....
Title: Canon 24-105, Need some help
Post by: BruceHouston on February 02, 2008, 03:25:16 pm
Its ok to crop and re-jpg for thes purposes.  Just do a small crop and then re-jpg at the highest quality, which will result in very little additional loss.