Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: sojournerphoto on January 24, 2008, 11:29:59 am

Title: Thank you to Canon
Post by: sojournerphoto on January 24, 2008, 11:29:59 am
I'd just like to express my appreciation to the Canon corporation for not releasing an updated 5D just yet. I like my 5D and would like any new body I purchase to represent a really worthwhile upgrade - i.e. one that would really make the new body the first body and the 5D my second. At the moment, for my uses, only the 1Ds3 fits that bracket (without moving to medium format digital).

This way  the 5D will have  remained my only body for in excess of 2 years. I was amazed to read of people suggesting that they would buy 'a couple of bodies' later in the year, 'not because I need them'... buy some nice glass and use it, or buy a few bus, train or plane tickets and take some pictures... please.

Anyway, thank you canon.
Title: Thank you to Canon
Post by: DarkPenguin on January 24, 2008, 11:53:20 am
What?
Title: Thank you to Canon
Post by: digitaldog on January 24, 2008, 01:22:58 pm
They may still do this (and I hope they do). Just because we saw release of the new Rebel doesn't automatically dismiss a new 5D version. If PMA didn't appear to be going down hill these days, I'd suggest Canon was waiting to announce there. And they may still do so. If they don't, it sure seems like a slap to the PMA show, where (much like Macworld), you could always expect to hear major announcements from the manufacturers.
Title: Thank you to Canon
Post by: Kirk Gittings on January 24, 2008, 02:30:25 pm
I understand the feeling of having your investment seemingly compromised by the release of an updated camera.  However a 16MP, 14 bit 5D would be a sweet upgrade and I for one am ready after only 15 months on my 5D.
Title: Thank you to Canon
Post by: kaelaria on January 24, 2008, 03:18:18 pm
So in other words....you are thanking them for not producing something better than you have, so you won't need to make yourself feel jealous.  Gotcha.
Title: Thank you to Canon
Post by: prh555 on January 24, 2008, 03:43:45 pm
new poster, been lurking for a while.  

this site is entertaining and informative (taken with a grain of salt).

i have a 30D and am awaiting the 5D successor.  i will be in yellowstone/tetons for 2 weeks in may, and am hoping for the replacement by then.  

among important features should be weather-proofing.  using a quality camera and L lenses one should not have to worry about moisture.  full frame, 14 bit, sensor cleaning and 16-18 mpix won't hurt.  the body of the mkIII would be nice.


my 2 cents,
prh
Title: Thank you to Canon
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 24, 2008, 06:46:36 pm
Quote
So in other words....you are thanking them for not producing something better than you have, so you won't need to make yourself feel jealous.  Gotcha.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169304\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
A perfectly understandable emotion, IMHO!

Jeremy
Title: Thank you to Canon
Post by: kaelaria on January 24, 2008, 06:48:01 pm
I agree...but hiding it is not.
Title: Thank you to Canon
Post by: dwdallam on January 27, 2008, 04:42:44 am
Quote
new poster, been lurking for a while. 

this site is entertaining and informative (taken with a grain of salt).

i have a 30D and am awaiting the 5D successor.  i will be in yellowstone/tetons for 2 weeks in may, and am hoping for the replacement by then. 

among important features should be weather-proofing.  using a quality camera and L lenses one should not have to worry about moisture.  full frame, 14 bit, sensor cleaning and 16-18 mpix won't hurt.  the body of the mkIII would be nice.
my 2 cents,
prh
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169313\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You won't have to worry about it with the 5D. Just don't shoot underwater with it.
Title: Thank you to Canon
Post by: Mike W on January 27, 2008, 01:01:37 pm
Don't be too sure. I shot with one in normal rainy conditions....the next day it short-circuited. Coincidence? My guess; nope.

Be safe...use a raincover

 

Quote
You won't have to worry about it with the 5D. Just don't shoot underwater with it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169922\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Thank you to Canon
Post by: dwdallam on January 28, 2008, 02:06:02 am
Quote
Don't be too sure. I shot with one in normal rainy conditions....the next day it short-circuited. Coincidence? My guess; nope.

Be safe...use a raincover
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169985\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I believe that if you were shooting in "rain" without protection. The same thing might happen with a sealed camera too because they are not water proof, but, rather, "sealed."

I've shot with my 5D in misty, drizzly situations without a cover. I just wiped it off every so often, and have had no problems.

BTW, where can I buy a cover that you talk about? I think that would be a good investment regardless.
Title: Thank you to Canon
Post by: DarkPenguin on January 28, 2008, 08:52:26 am
Look for kata rain covers at B+H.

Or buy a fist full of Optech Rainsleeves.  They're cheap and can be carried in the bag/backpack all the time.
Title: Thank you to Canon
Post by: dwdallam on January 29, 2008, 06:00:29 am
Quote
Look for kata rain covers at B+H.

Or buy a fist full of Optech Rainsleeves.  They're cheap and can be carried in the bag/backpack all the time.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170221\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I checked them both out. How hard is it to set up the Kata option?

I think I'll go with the sleeves. They seem easier to use because they are faster and smaller.

Thanks for the tip.

Also, something else I used in Death Valley works well for a make shift cover--Turkey size oven Bags. I used a ball bungy to seal around the tripod head and rubber band on the front of the lens. They're about 3 bucks for two.