Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: situgrrl on January 22, 2008, 11:41:39 am

Title: iPhoto Books
Post by: situgrrl on January 22, 2008, 11:41:39 am
Does anyone have any comments on the books that can be ordered through iPhoto?  I want to put together a short book run from a recent trip as gifts for some close friends.  I was considering printing myself through an Epson 2100 and then having them bound but the price of the iPhoto books looks very good and the presentation is impressive.

I would welcome your opinions

Thanks

charly
Title: iPhoto Books
Post by: rdonson on January 22, 2008, 12:12:20 pm
Hello Charly,

You might consider looking at Blurb.  Uwe Steinmueller has detailed his experiences at Outback Print (http://www.outbackphoto.com/CONTENT_2007_01/section_output_printing/20070718_BlurbExperience/index.html)

I've downloaded their software and it looks reasonable.  I haven't completed any books yet though.  There are ICC profiles available for the HP print gear that's used.
Title: iPhoto Books
Post by: dennysb on January 22, 2008, 05:13:35 pm
Yes I have many times,


Two of my kids play competitive soccer in previous years. I took a large qty pictures throughout their season and then make a book for each of them out of the best pictures from the team. About 2-3 photos per player.

I ended up making one or two for each parent of each player (they paid for their own)

It works great and yes Blurb is a great option too with possibly more/different options for layout and such.

If you are a Mac user, you will find making a book with Iphoto a no-brainer.

DB


Quote
Does anyone have any comments on the books that can be ordered through iPhoto?  I want to put together a short book run from a recent trip as gifts for some close friends.  I was considering printing myself through an Epson 2100 and then having them bound but the price of the iPhoto books looks very good and the presentation is impressive.

I would welcome your opinions

Thanks

charly
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168793\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: iPhoto Books
Post by: tomrock on January 22, 2008, 05:43:06 pm
I've made a few with Aperture (it's the only thing I do with Aperture any more) and they're good.

If you order several books at the same time, Apple will put two or three books in a single box so you won't have separate boxes for each book. That irritates me so I just send each book as a separate order. If you're getting little softcover books it won't matter at all.

Yes, there are other options but Apple makes it really easy.
Title: iPhoto Books
Post by: situgrrl on January 23, 2008, 05:02:08 am
Are the Aperture books different to iPhoto?  More importantly, can you get ICC profiles for them and do they have a workflow guideline for sharpening etc?  My greatest concerns about the iPhoto books is that they are designed for people like my mum - who want something pretty - rather than me - who wants total control over the prettiness of what I am ordering!

I will look at Blurb.

Thanks
Title: iPhoto Books
Post by: KeithR on January 23, 2008, 10:00:41 am
Quote
Are the Aperture books different to iPhoto?  More importantly, can you get ICC profiles for them and do they have a workflow guideline for sharpening etc?  My greatest concerns about the iPhoto books is that they are designed for people like my mum - who want something pretty - rather than me - who wants total control over the prettiness of what I am ordering!

I will look at Blurb.

Thanks
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=168956\")

Here's something to get you started with Blurb:
[a href=\"http://www.bonsai-photography.com/blurb-color-management.pdf]http://www.bonsai-photography.com/blurb-color-management.pdf[/url]
Blurb also has a forum were a lot of people are getting info. I haven't tried them yet, but they seem promising.
Title: iPhoto Books
Post by: Alaska on January 23, 2008, 04:21:57 pm
See this thread....

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....19&hl=sharedink (http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14219&hl=sharedink)

Jim
Title: iPhoto Books
Post by: GregW on January 24, 2008, 05:12:43 am
The iPhoto books are fine for friends and family who care more about the content than image quality.  You certainly couldn't sell one in a commercial sense.  The main advantage is also the main disadvantage.  They are quick to produce but not very flexible.

The biggest gripe I have is that the paper is a bit thin almost like a magazine.

What would be great is an intermediate product from Apple which gave you a bit more control i.e design your own templates, allowed you to use higher quality images and higher quality paper, ink and binding.  

I've 'produced' about 5 iPhoto books.